GTR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys me again.
Im on a mission to solve a problem.
I would like to know if guys out there have changed their R34 clutches... what have they fitted and did they have any problems locating the correct part because of the getrag six speed box ?????
Please help throw me any ideas im in need of assistance short of getting a Nismo Twin plate kit which is about 2700 usd ???
Does the replacement clutch have to include A flywheel as well??
Thankyou in advance and much love to the forum !!!

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Ye, get a full kit to include flywheel and push/pull convertor depending on clutch used.

If your uprating the clutch and buy a kit it should have all the bits you need.

For that sort of money i would be looking at a carbon clutch (carbontronics). Mine is a triple and has taken all the crap i can throw at it. It also drives like a normall clutch. Its great in traffic and pedal ent to bad either. A little heavy but nothing like most clutches out there.

·
Banned
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks

Mattysupra thats got to be one of the shortest and sweetest posts ive ever read straight to the point... an that tip im going to look into that type of clutch and see what best value i can get...

Many thanks
Any one else have anything else they could recommend.
Ive seen so many posts about Nismo clutches and was seriously thinking of getting a twin plate.
But if a carbon is stronger then maybe id go for that instead.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
nismo do a carbon one also.

I have been through many clutches over the years with different cars and im happy with the carbon one i have now. I will be replacing it with the same if i ever manage to break it or wear it out.

O and my nismo clutch lasted 100 miles :confused: But is was not a twin or triple plate.

However it was the bearing that exploded and not the clutch but i did manage to get it to slip a few times before it went at 400bhp. Think its called a copper mix?

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
Mine isn't an R34, but I've got a carbonetics twin plate and it's brilliant.

·
Banned
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will definitly be looking into that thankyou.
Ps by the way Nismo dont make Carbon faced clutches they make organic composite material called COPPERMIX and its a organic facing with some copper chips and strands put into the actual face plates... this not only gives the impression the car has a normal clutch it also bites at high temps cause the copper becomes soft.
Been doing my homework and turns out that this type of clutch is forgiving and strong.
Had something similar made up for my Subaru and it was tough as nails.
i might just go for a nismo !!!!
Twin plate here i come big price any one want to buy my left kidney .... maybe right but im thinking about that one.

·
Banned
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So Nismo it is now i have to start saving and thinking ahead there are so many other parts i want, dam this credit crunch....

Thanks guys i will definitly go for the twin plate clutch

·
Registered
350 Posts
http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/121615-ats-twin-carbon-silent-r34-others.html#post1147334

Wow there cowboy! before you make a hasty move l'd have a look at the above link. I predict this clutch will be the next hot clutch for all skyline owners.

On face value it has it all, check it out.

Its based on the twin carbon plate ats/carbonetic but it has done away with the light/balanced non harmonic flywheel for a, l suspect, oem flywheel adapted to the ats twin to gain back all the 'less of the chatter' which is all to common with uprated clutches.

Seriously, the top clutch at the moment is the ats/carbonetic range of clutches and now that this 'silent' version has now been released and rateed 500-900hp, l think ats/carbonetic have hit the nail on the head......this is going to be one shit hot clutch.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've used Carbonetic clutches(as well as their diffs) in a host of other vehicles with excellent results and performance. Definitely can't go wrong with them.

Pertaining to the OP here, I just instaleld a Coppermix twin plate in the 2002 R34 here(USA). I have yet to put miles on it for the customer but from all the reviews I have read, it seems to be the best overall bang for the buck clutch with torque capacity and ease of engagement at the moment.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
If you purchase a BNR34 clutch, then you will have no problems at all fitting it.
and please DO NOT pay $2700 USD for a Nismo clutch, that is a rip off!

Check our clutch kit sale for prices and options for clutches for your R34.
The Nismo is also on sale at 166,320 JPY or about 1067 GBP.
All kits include lightened flywheels as well.

Click this link for prices:
http://www.tunerlab.jp/images/clutch_sale3.gif

·
Banned
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Now thats a Brilliant idea.... i mean i havent ordered anything yet but its amazing and it keeps the car nice and silent to no chatter im looking into getting one and prices now.
Thanks for that advice.

·
Registered
411 Posts
the nismo twin plate coppermix is being suggested a lot here for its drivability and ability to hold quite a bit of power

triple plates blow boxes up:p

on a side note ive always wondered if the lightweight flywheels rattle on idle as much as they do on other cars

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
triples dont break boxes, torque breaks boxes!

If a triple breaks boxes more than a copper mix, well the copper mix is not doing its job and slipping :thumbsup:

·
Banned
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well in all honesty i feel rather a clutch slips a little and breaks then a box breaks cause whats more costly a box or a clutch plate, break a clutch plate even if it slips a little on hard launches.
Im still confused still researching and the silent flywheel doesnt seem to be much information regarding it so a bit confusing there.
Any ways will see its still looking more in favour of the twin plate nismo coppermix.
thanks guys

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
your clutch wont slip on a hard launch, it will slip in say 3rd gear when the tyres grip and your on boost.

If you buy a clutch that will not take the power it will be no good for you the first time you give it some crap. My copper mix died after 100miles or so.

You can buy it if you want, minimum wear on it and i have a nismo light wieght fly wheel to go with it. Its only a single tho. And it could not deal with 400bhp. Guess it will be fine for 350bhp.

What power are you running?

·
Banned
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry Matty, im going to be running about 450 - 500 bhp, im still deciding to leave the engine intact as i got a new nur spec from japan, or to change the oil pump rods, pistons etc and make it handle to beating ?
So the single wont do .
I will have to get a twin copper mix.
Thanks for that though

1 - 17 of 17 Posts