GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
If you are considering an ECU remap, then you should very seriously consider the Cobb Access Port. This is by far the most popular ECU upgrade tool, easy to use, a choice of maps, custom maps, reads and clears diagnostic trouble codes, and you do the upgrade yourself, including returning the car to the stock map if you want.

If you have not found them already look at these threads.

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/120978-w...ort-has-arrived-tuning-guide.html#post1141439

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/120422-cobb-access-port-thread.html#post1136020

And of course this one. :)

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/125194-accessport-gb.html#post1178752

Rich

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, i've had confliciting views over the cobb access port. Ian litchfield wasn't that keen on the cobb, and a-l tuning also had a few things to say. Both mentioned issues with the R&d of this product, especially concerning boost settings.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Both the Litchfield EcuTek product and the Cobb Access Port are good products from reputable suppliers, however wheras I seen volumes of complimentry feedback from Cobb users I have seen no feedback from Litchfield customers. Would be interested in some detail on these conflicting views? It will also be interesting to see the response to your question?

There are hundreds of Cobb AP users in Europe & probably thousands in the US. If you look at the top 20 R35 times posted on dragtimes.com every single one uses a Cobb AP.

I like it's simplicity, the fact that you can choose to upload different maps for different ocassions, the fact that you can datalog parameters for later analysis, and finally the excellent support I have had from Cobb & GTC.

Rich

·
Registered
565 Posts
M-Power,

I am in no way connected to Cobb but i must say that Ian's comments are not surprising.

I would say that Cobbs R&D with hundreds if not thousands of customers in North America speaks for itself!

Ask Ian how many cars he has mapped and what his R&D process is, i know who i would choose for any changes to my car.

The men here in the UK working constantly to improve the Cobb is Thistle on this very board and also Ben at GTC

What you don't know because it is all very much part of helping the wider GTR Community and we choose not to take credit for it is that several of us provide Thistle and Ben with data on a regular basis so that we can have a proper progress path on any new maps that are developed.

"We" as in a large number of fellow Europe based R35 owners are making sure that any change or updates that happen to maps are tested and verified before the map is released to a wider audience, this includes Thistle and Ben on their very own GTR's!!!

You can't ask for any more dedication than that..........

What Thistle and Ben have achieved in conjunction with the guys in the States in a very short space of time is remarkable.

Data logging including knock indication, RPM based boost control without the need for a stand alone Boost Controller, the list is endless.

Trust me COBB and nothing else (Apart from Haltech when it is at a more advanced stage) will be going anywhere near my car.

And just to make sure everything is clear myself and the other Cobb guys providing data receive no special treatment from Ben or Thistle, we paid for our Cobb units the same as everyone else and all we are doing is being involved in the R&D process for our own interest and to help everyone else out.

Regards

ScottyB

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Well, i've had confliciting views over the cobb access port. Ian litchfield wasn't that keen on the cobb, and a-l tuning also had a few things to say. Both mentioned issues with the R&d of this product, especially concerning boost settings.
If the Litchfield tune is from ' Ian Lichfield ' it's hardly surprising he doesn't recommend the competitors... if it isn't from him... what an interesting coincidence !

·
Registered
3,684 Posts

do you mean ai autosport ? if so thats funny how they called me today wanting to buy one.

I have no comment on ecutek, havn't seen it. has anyone ? other than Iain ? all i know is that it was mean't to be released in Dec 2008 but didn't happen.

In my opinion since then Cobb AP has dominated the market and developed massively. Over 2,000 units have been sold in USA alone, we've sold 100's in Europe and who knows how many in Asia. List of tuners using over last 12 months is long ; every US tuner going, Jap tuners Top Secret... so how is that for r&d and feedback on a global level. More recently with knock and full boost control. Before anyone pulls the US fuel grade card, we have constructed our own UK fuel maps since April when we collected our UK car. Tested on dyno and at Millbrook.

I respect ecutek and im sure they will come up with a equally good product, but the mapper is more important than the tools they use ;)

With the GT-R at least, i can see the massive benefit of having an 'ipod' as some call it, to read own data monitoring, codes, does same as v-box performance record figures, uninstall-reinstall, switch fuel grade map, resell later, regular online updates etc...its worth alone to be able to reset annoying hood and tire lamps, rather than send to hpc.

I could be wrong, but i don't think you'll see a mad rush of feedback from GT-R ecutek users.. but you will from AP users, with real proven dyno and track/drag strip times.... with safe boost, afr and knock to match :)

I don't think you'll go wrong with either. I welcome the competition.

Ask this same question on nagtroc....:flame:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Not sure if there is much more to add to the commentary so far other than the fact that I was definitely torn between the Ecutek vs Cobb route but ultimately elected to go down the Cobb route base on the weight of evidence in support across all the forums.

In hind sight I can offer nothing but genuine pleasure in a great product with phenomenal UK support from Ben & Thistle and all the good souls on this forum who share their logs, experience and feedback.

·
Premium Member
8,840 Posts
Both the Litchfield EcuTek product and the Cobb Access Port are good products from reputable suppliers, however wheras I seen volumes of complimentry feedback from Cobb users I have seen no feedback from Litchfield customers. Would be interested in some detail on these conflicting views? It will also be interesting to see the response to your question?

There are hundreds of Cobb AP users in Europe & probably thousands in the US. If you look at the top 20 R35 times posted on dragtimes.com every single one uses a Cobb AP.

I like it's simplicity, the fact that you can choose to upload different maps for different ocassions, the fact that you can datalog parameters for later analysis, and finally the excellent support I have had from Cobb & GTC.

Rich
My Ecutek stage 1 Map works well, just wiating for the stage 2 and that Ecutek get it right and not be first to market with an "unknown" product.

·
Registered
108 Posts
For those of you in Europe the AccessPORT might have been an "unknown" but Ben has been working with us (Cobb Tuning) directly for 1 and 1/2 years That's longer then GT-R has been on sale in Europe and North America.

Joe

·
Registered
787 Posts
Blimey one guy makes a suggestion that I was “less than keen” on the Cobb product and now it appears like I’m rubbishing it :rolleyes: Let me nip this in the bud now.
To be clear I think Cobb have done a superb job with a number of the products I have seen, I told them so when they had a stand directly behind us at the 2008 Autosport show.

I can only assume my less than keen comments would refer to my desire to use the ECUTEK reflash software as we have a long history with them and helped supply their development GTR.

It would appear that in recent weeks Ben and John have made big steps forward to make the Cobb product better with proper boost control and knock monitoring :cool: Congratulation I know how hard and laborious development work can be.

I hope that is the end of that and we can get back to business :)

Iain

·
Registered
108 Posts
Blimey one guy makes a suggestion that I was “less than keen” on the Cobb product and now it appears like I’m rubbishing it :rolleyes: ......

Iain
Thats what makes forums fun! Statments get blown way out of perportion, and the next thing you know there are a bunch of :flame: running around on your screen.

Competition is what makes products better and is good for the customer in the end!

Joe

·
Premium Member
2,531 Posts
If one wanted to do a stage 1 tune on an R35 are both Ecutek and Cobb maps traceable on the stock ECU and hence would invalidate warranty?

·
Registered
787 Posts
Thanks Joe, I totally agree :)

VXR, The Ecutek product is currently traceable and we explain to potential customers that any modification will have a warranty implication. There are a number of ways Nissan can check.

Iain

·
Premium Member
2,531 Posts
Thanks Joe, I totally agree :)

VXR, The Ecutek product is currently traceable and we explain to potential customers that any modification will have a warranty implication. There are a number of ways Nissan can check.

Iain
Do Ecutek actually inform Nissan when an car has been mapped as they do with Mitsubishi on the Evo?

·
Registered
57 Posts
What about the Cobb?

The literature implies that if you uninstall it before a trip to the dealers then it's undetectable. Does anyone know if this is the case or are ECU remaps stored in the GTRs "black box"?

Rob

·
Premium Member
7,641 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.