GTR Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there, i have been browsing this site for a long time but this is my 1st post and i would really like some help :)

I am looking at buying a stainless steel HKS silent high power catback for my 1998 r33 gts25t, i need peoples opinions and experiences with this catback, like does it have a nice note? is it loud/quiet? did you gain much power from it (i know i wont gain that much power as it is only a catback)

So i really need some advice/comments on it as i dont want to buy something that is going to sound very nice or be too loud or too quiet.

Any help would be much appreciated:)

Also if you happen to have any pics or vids of it that would also be a great help

Cheers
Jason

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Had it on my 34GTR,nice sound,not to noise,sounds great:smokin:

·
Premium Member
4,976 Posts
Had one on my R32 GTR.
Very quiet below 4k rpm.

Nice, refined smooth sounding above. Not "aggressive" but purposeful.
Did get a complaint of it sounding boomy by a rear passenger but I never sat in the back ... :D

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Had one on my R32 GTR.

Did get a complaint of it sounding boomy by a rear passenger but I never sat in the back ... :D
You are able to take passangers in the rear seats from the Skyline,didnt know that
:)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No close up pics, got a few vids of the car tho, will look later...
That would be great if you could post up the vids if you can find them:) that would be really helpfull, obviously it wont sound the same on a gtr as a gts25t, but it shouldnt be too much different so it might give me a bit of an idea of how it will sound

Thanks again

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bump, im trying to decide between the hks silent high power and the trust power extreme 2 as i can get them for the same price now so i really need some more help.

What are your opinions on the trust power extreme 2? if anyone has any good pics of one on a r33 any skyline for that matter that they could post up that would be great.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I think it is a fine exhaust - loud under load and quiet when you're at a constant speed.

Pic ...

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
If I get a chance - i'll record it on my phone tomorrow morning. However sound will be relevant to having Apexi downpipes, Abbey Decat and the HKS Silent.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
yup had 1 on my hcr32 very nice! gives you some more power and sounds lovely when the wasegate opens and still gives off a nice rumble at low speeds.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well the exhaust arrived 1st thing this morning so i got straight into fitting it, it was very very easy to fit and took me about 1hour all up, everything lined up and bolted on perfectly (as you would expect from hks!), when it was all done i started the car up and took it for a drive, it sounded bloody great, not too loud and not too quite (just what i wanted!!) the car is so quiet at 110kph you wouldnt even no its got a aftermarket catback on it.

So to sum it all up i am very very pleased, the quality of the silent power is awsome, the sound is perfect (i might try and get a video of it later on) , it gave a resonable increase in top end power (it seems to feel a little bit sluggish down low and sometimes hesitates a little bit which could possible be the spark plugs (i havnt checked the gap of them yet but i suspect they will be 1.1mm, so will get some new plugs gapped to 0.8mm and see what happens) it is well worth the money and i recomend it to everyone!!

Here are some pics ;)

P.S thanks for all the help!!

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Looking good, did you get the R33 GTS version, or the R33 GTR one?

Anyone know what the differences are between the two? Spec suggests pipe diameters are the same.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Thats interesting. I am after a quiet exhaust as the one i got now is terribly loud. the HKS one doesnt look as if it should be all that quiet, the back box silencer isnt particularly large, and the front silencer is tiny!

Really want to hear one of these in person before I buy, and thats the awkward part :(

Butuz

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Thats interesting. I am after a quiet exhaust as the one i got now is terribly loud. the HKS one doesnt look as if it should be all that quiet, the back box silencer isnt particularly large, and the front silencer is tiny!

Really want to hear one of these in person before I buy, and thats the awkward part :(

Butuz
Thats exactly what i was thinking when i saw the size of the pipes and the tiny resonator, i was just about ready to take it back to the shop as i thought it would be far to loud (even tho hks quote them to only be 93db)

Lucky i didnt take it back tho as it sounds great, it can be a little drony inside sometimes but it is the perfect volume outside the car, and idling it is also resonably quiet, however when i do the rest of the exhaust (dump,front pipe and decat pipe) i suspect it will be quite loud.

Overall its a perfect combination of volume and sound;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts