GTR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,736 Posts
I was thinking of buying that for my standard turbos... You can always be the first and give us feedback :)

Looks good on paper though...Nothing to lose I guess

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
I would question how well balanced they would be, I think I would want them properly balancing after they are built.

·
Registered
8,548 Posts
I would question how well balanced they would be, I think I would want them properly balancing after they are built.
With a bit of careful attention to the relative positions of wheels on shafts etc, there should be no need for rebalancing. There are a few good turbo rebuild walkthroughs on the net with sufficient technical skill to make it a worthwhile proposition. In fact, I will be giving my mate's T25 (from his RST) a refurb shortly. An example of such a site is HERE

It really isn't rocket science but it seems folks still attach a great deal of mystique to turbos.......and RB engines for that matter. :p:p

I say go for it and rebuild it yourself!!

TT

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
With a bit of careful attention to the relative positions of wheels on shafts etc, there should be no need for rebalancing. There are a few good turbo rebuild walkthroughs on the net with sufficient technical skill to make it a worthwhile proposition. In fact, I will be giving my mate's T25 (from his RST) a refurb shortly. An example of such a site is HERE

It really isn't rocket science but it seems folks still attach a great deal of mystique to turbos.......and RB engines for that matter. :p:p

I say go for it and rebuild it yourself!!

TT
Yea, I would also probably do this, I was just under the impression the balance tolerance was extremely small but on looking at that site you linked I can see it's not the problem I thought it was.

I did consider this an option when my old turbo let go but I dropped on a better turbo for not much more cash than the rebuild.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for replys guys, but I insist you chaps have a go first!lol
I am not the most technically gifted individual, my thought was the same as gtst regarding balancing that was my fear also.
I suppose they could be rebuilt and then given to a turbo refurb company to ensure the balancing was correct.

Let us know when you have fitted the kit !!

·
Registered
8,548 Posts
Balancing only becomes an issue if you are changing wheels etc. if you are only changing bearings and/or seals and keep the same relationship between wheels and shafts then why would the turbo be out of balance??

TT

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
tarmac terror my technical knowledge is limited but you sound very knowledgeable I am sure your correct. I will wait and see if anyone does the job themselves.
If I was the first to try believe me the results would be no reflection of how good or bad the kit is, also my turbos are in good shape thus far.

Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
9,736 Posts
You wont get any where in life if you are not prepared to take risks and try new things. Just got for it, £200 will not break the bank! :)

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Balancing only becomes an issue if you are changing wheels etc. if you are only changing bearings and/or seals and keep the same relationship between wheels and shafts then why would the turbo be out of balance??

TT
I've rebuilt GT-R tubos with 360 degree thrust kits and new bearings etc but always made sure that the compressor wheel went back on in the same position relative to the turbine wheel/shaft. Not sure how you'd do that with these kits unless the wheels are marked in some way. Maybe if both wheels are independently balanced it doen't matter what position they are relative to each other ? I guess an email to the supplier would confirm.

Cheers

Stu

1 - 11 of 11 Posts