GTR Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well in my quest for an Exedy Triple Clutch for my GTR33 over here in the states I had someone contact me about a company called Spec Clutches. They are supposed to be a US company that makes economical clutches that can handle crazy horsepower. The guys is trying to convince me to go with one of these over an Exedy, the price coupled with the fact I can damn near get it today, makes me curious. Opinions? Can anyone vouch for them?

Btw here is the site: http://www.specclutch.com/

One more question, the company only makes the clutches and pressure plate, not the flywheel. Will a resurfaced stock flywheel hold 750WHP or do I need to get a new one of those too?

Thanks guys.

-Sayajin

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
*edit* As an aside, I also had someone i trust very much contact me about a Company called Carbonetic Clutches. They were formally ATS Across. From what he was telling me they make top of the line clutches. Also they use a full carbon composite plate instead of the woven plates that Exedy uses, meaning you get a more streetable feel and no need to warm it up. From what he is telling me the Carbonetic Double will actually hold a bit more than the Exedy Triple. Now it costs a little more, but seems worthwile for the benefits. Anyone ever heard of this company, either with its current or old name? *edit*

·
Registered
374 Posts
Sayajin, I have used Spec cluthes in MR2's for customers and they are ok for moderate power over stock, but in the couple of cars we've built to 450hp(fly) they start to slip after a few spirited launches. They are cheap yes but if they claim a clutch can handle 800+ hp i think it would be hard to live with personally.
I've got an Exedy twin in my 33gtr and its not bad to use in traffic when you get used to it.
If people have used them in gtr's on here i'm sure someone will say so.
Flywheels i'm not sure about but its a lot of power youre asking it to take with yours so better safe than sorry i reckon. Try the aussie forums too, they usually good for info on whats needed (to be upgraded) on high power cars.

Tony

·
Registered
717 Posts
spec make some great clutches and my mate who runs a scooby parts company uses them alot and so far have very good at holding the quoted power ratings....BUT i would not want to trust a single plate with that kind of power

·
Registered
122 Posts
I had a SPEC twin plate on my car and had no problems with it at all.

Until I punched the centre bearing right through the centre, killing the clutch, flywheel and gearbox.

Maybe I was unlucky!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts