GTR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As per the title, appears that the issue with mine is its jamming and either jamming open meaning no boost or jamming closed/slow opening meaning major boost spikes !!!

Im thinking whip it off and give it a good service but wondered if anyone has ever had this ??

·
Registered
656 Posts
As per the title, appears that the issue with mine is its jamming and either jamming open meaning no boost or jamming closed/slow opening meaning major boost spikes !!!

Im thinking whip it off and give it a good service but wondered if anyone has ever had this ??
yes mate have striped an hks one before, just be carfull it is under a lot of tension, bloody thing explodes when you take apart lol, needs 2 of you to put back together, an make sure you mark it before taking appart so screamer pipe is in same position. good luck.

·
Premium Member
3,838 Posts
Yes - use a big bench vise or similar to hold it together while you release the bolted flange. Like chippy said - prone to explode all over the garage if you're not prepared.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thought that may be the case !! LOL

Is it common for them to get coked up and stick ? Seems like once it gets hot it starts sticking more i.e due to it probably expanding with the heat.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Common `cos they are cheap and nasty (IMHO), Tial seem better, but when a PROPER external gate is around at least a grand Sterling, and a WRC turbo charger around 7 grand you can see that you get what you pay for. The valve in an HKS `gate looks like it's out of some diesel truck engine and won't like the heat for long. Proper `gates use Inconel inside for the valve and the seat. If you strip it check the valve and seat aren't distorted, the stem is straight and still round, and the guide is straight and not marked up. Check the diaphragm is intact and not deformed. Check it's opening with (controlled....) compressed air via a decent gauge.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Stripped, cleaned and back together ill get pics up and a wee guide asap.

Its an Apexi racing one mate, around £600-700 quids worth so its not a cheap nasty one. Parts inside are high quality and the seat is inconel as is the guide for the stem.

Its very well put together and now works faultlessly :) I now have stable boost at last ! :)

p.s. the cause of it sticking was someone had used grease on it and due to the heat cycles and fact it had been sat alot not doing much it had hardned and stuck onto the shaft :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts