GTR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As title, since fitted, losing about 10% a month on both fronts relative to rears so not talking about usual drop relative to ambient temp which this is in addition to. Very experienced tyre fitters I have known for 11 years, will go back and see them. No signs punctures, I changed the valve insert on one side, but no change. Have the rubber seals so will get those changed too.

Just thinking non OEM tyres etc.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I was losing pressure in one of my fronts recently and it turned out to be the rubber seal in the valve. Had it changed and all is good.

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
Failing the above have the tyre guys have a good check around the rim just in case a kerb has dented it. They usually used washing up liquid and check for bubbles.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I had this on my MPSS - it was a leak at the rim. The rim wasn't damaged at all and the leak wasn't there from day 1 so not sure why it occurred (maybe my masterful cornering)

Refitting the tyre sorted it - spotted the area by spraying with washing up liquid & water .

·
Registered
760 Posts
I seem to have a similar problem - losing pressure for one of my fronts (285 MPSS). Will get it checked when I switch to winter set up.

Thanks for the useful pointers.

·
Registered
171 Posts
All four of my MPSS started leaking on the rims very slowly after about 9 months - first the two offside, which were refitted and are now fine, and then the two nearside which I'm going to get redone when I change to winter wheels/tyres.

I'm interested that a few other people seem to be having this as well...

·
Registered
471 Posts
I have had a slow loss.
I think that's been about 6 months I have had them and they have only needed topped up once when one got to the alarm level after no use for a few weeks so its not been an issue, my lack of mileage may have a lot to do with that though.
The car is in hibernation now so I will keep track of any abnormal losses over the winter.
J

·
Registered
39 Posts
same here, slow loss in 3 of the wheels, MPSS, the only saviour is the compressor Sly gave me on the last service, thanks for the hints and tips guys, will get Sly to try it.

·
Registered
941 Posts
How odd. One of mine has dropped a PSI since I checked. It's not losing enough to worry me at the moment but interesting that others are suffering too.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have this too on one of my fronts (running MPSS’s) which very slowly loses pressure. I had it on the same tyre when it was first fitted and a refitting cured it. Now about a year later it’s started again. I need new tyres soon so I’m going to wait and see what happens then.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
I've had this.
Tyre would go from 33psi to 24psi but never lower.

Took it off for checking and it was fine. Been perfect since refitting.

·
Registered
760 Posts
My pressures also seem to stabilise after some loss - suggests the tyre bead seals better at lower pressures. It's irritating though.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Happened again. Averaging 0.5psi per day.

·
Premium Member
3,733 Posts
I've had this.
Tyre would go from 33psi to 24psi but never lower.

Took it off for checking and it was fine. Been perfect since refitting.
Me too - both right hand wheels, after all being set to perfect 29 cold all round, drop to 24 then stay there.

Will get them re-seated when stick next set of tyres on and apparently inflate to 60 PSI when first put tyres on, leave for 10-15 minutes, then let them down to 29 PSI creates a better seal (makes sense I suppose) and pushes all the 'gunk' they use to ease tyres on away and seals TPMS

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
One was improved by refitting. I found the source of the leak on the other is the thin strands of rubber about 8mm x 0.5mm have in places folded back interrupting the rim seal when they were fitted. Doesn't happen on the back with native size, but oversize on the front then some of then have been pinched. Having changed the trans oil today to FFL racing using jacks and bricks (not the easiest, don't have a lift) but have just recovered from a bad back, I will give it to the tyre fitters on Monday to fix.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Seems to have worked, but will know for sure in a few days. Over 24 hours no pressure loss, previously was 0.13 bar on one and 0.05 bar on the other per day.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts