GTR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am running bridgestone run flats at the moment and all 4 have pretty good tread on. Once they are due for change I will likely go MPSS / non run flat.

For the time being though I don't want to scrap good tyres, but have picked up a nail into the front NS tyre. It's right in the middle of the tread so prime puncture repair territory, it's also not leaking (although very slight bubbles show when you spray it with tyre solution/soapy water, so I know it has gone into the tyre).

Everyone I have spoken to has advised it is not legally possible for them to repair a run flat - so what I would like to know is this:

1) Has everyone else found this to be the case? Or have you amnaged to get a run flat repaired?
2) Would you dynaplug in this circumstance? And is that ok for a tyre with 6+mm tread left
3) All the places I have spoken to have advised the nail isnt going anywhere. Whilst it isnt losing pressure (which could change over time, albeit gradually), it is probably fine as is - has anyone left a nail in place for a prolonged period of time?

Thanks.

Mart

·
Registered
833 Posts
As long as it's not on the sidewall area you're fine. I dynaplugged one of my run flats ages ago and had no problems with it.

I wouldn't leave the nail in.

·
Registered
155 Posts
mine have a few puncture repairs and no problems.

I guess if you are going 8/10th with the car you need it no holes, but daily and the occasional squirt should present no issues.

·
Registered
888 Posts
The wife has a BMW Mini John Cooper Works & i've repaired I think 2 Dunlop RF DSSTs!
As said, as long as you know the RF tyre hasn't been 'run flat' for long & the side wall is still un-damaged, you'll be fine :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It certainly hasnt been run flat by me and I assume the nail only turned up after I got the car as it came to me with a fresh MOT.

I might check out dynaplugs as I should get this anyway in anticipation of puncture and/or moving to non run flats at some time.

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If it is a Bridgestone you can see on their website that their runflats CAN be repaired.

Thanks for that, I will look it up and see if I can use this to get it repaired.

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well to take this full circle, despite the Bridgestone saying you could repair a run flat, no one seems to be prepared to, due to not being able to tell if the structure has been subjected to damage from being driven run flat.

I guess the options are to dynaplug it or replace it. It's a shame as I had wanted to do some high speed runs (VMAX day etc) whilst I had the run flats for some added tyre safety and now if I do anything other than replace it with a new one, will have that in the back of my mind should I get the chance to do a high speed run. :mad:

I do have some 285 part / well worns which I am saving. I guess I could fit these on the fronts for any events and run a square set up.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Well to take this full circle, despite the Bridgestone saying you could repair a run flat, no one seems to be prepared to, due to not being able to tell if the structure has been subjected to damage from being driven run flat.

I guess the options are to dynaplug it or replace it. It's a shame as I had wanted to do some high speed runs (VMAX day etc) whilst I had the run flats for some added tyre safety and now if I do anything other than replace it with a new one, will have that in the back of my mind should I get the chance to do a high speed run. :mad:

I do have some 285 part / well worns which I am saving. I guess I could fit these on the fronts for any events and run a square set up.
Fair comments, if it had been runflat then I would not repair it, if it had a slow puncture I would, ATS will defo repair them KF will not.

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did try ATS and they weren't sure about it, in the end suggesting I try a company up the road. He did say something about needing particular plugs which they dont have so maybe with a bit more exploring ATS might be able to help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts