GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Vendor
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone had any major issues on their engine? picking mine up next few days, its stock, but im always sooo paranoid!

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
A bit of forum reading will reveal they are quite durable.

Failures are rare, even on tuned cars they don't happen often (and are rarely publicised on here) but there are a number of other issues like steering lock, audio/head unit, misting up headlights, bellhousing, gearbox solenoids needing cleaning etc...

·
Registered
9,091 Posts
What will you do if the answers yes?

I can promise you, some standard engines have blown. Some heavily modified cars with stock engines at 900 horsepower haven't.

What can you do with that info and how many answers will be a representative sample that you can act on?

It all comes down to how well you sleep at night. If not very well, just pay for the warranty and quit worrying.

·
Vendor
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thinking about getting the warranty, just wanted to know how reliable the engine actually is, I had been talking to litchfields but

they would only give warranty if I got solonoids done from then £600, the solonoids are mainly what goes wrong on a standard car anyway,
then they don't cover lights, instrument cluster or music system- again the things that are likely to go wrong if anything,

so leaves the question, if the solonoids are done, and the warranty doesn't cover the main bits that actually go wrong, is it actually worth having the warranty unless the engine goes bang,

this is why I was trying to find out, has anyone here actually had many engine problems on a stock car.

·
Premium Member
5,887 Posts
has anyone had any major issues on their engine? picking mine up next few days, its stock, but im always sooo paranoid!
Go buy a Honda then bud, as it will run forever and never make you sweat.. As when you start hearing all the gtr weird noises they make, you are gonna be a nervous wreck!

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Slight worried at how someone who buys and sells cars knows so little about R35's!

·
Premium Member
3,024 Posts
Haven't done stock and the answer is still no. Precautionary engine and gearbox strip at 36,000 miles by Iain Litchfield after severe abuse and no faults.

In my opinion you will not find a better car with an engine and gearbox that is virtually bullet proof. However, there will always be the occasional problem and some are well documented on this forum.

If you want 100% peace of mind then I will sell you a new Citroen C1 or DS3 that will cost you virtually nothing on servicing and wont blow up!

·
Premium Member
5,887 Posts
Just never had one mate , only ever dealt with 32,33,34s.

I'm just always extra paranoid about everything !
.............What's that knock at the door, .........at this time of night???.....

Sorry couldnt resist, back on topic.

·
Vendor
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just buy it and enjoy it! All cars have faults and all cars have had instances of blown engines.... Fact of life.

That's it! Gonna stop worrying and just go for it. I guess every car is the same , whatever will be will be , as regards to the paranoia lol, you Don't know me, I will randomly get up in the middle of the night just to check the locks and make sure the gas is turned off!

·
Registered
626 Posts
Few electronic faults that really piss me off but nothing mechanical. I drive mine every day keep her well serviced and had no problems. She's been launched and tracked and driven the way she should. Just enjoy your car mate.

·
Vendor
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Few electronic faults that really piss me off but nothing mechanical. I drive mine every day keep her well serviced and had no problems. She's been launched and tracked and driven the way she should. Just enjoy your car mate.

Will do mate Im just not gonna bother worrying anymore to be honest, whatever happens will happen, I've wanted this car for so long and to finally almost have it I'm not gonna spoil it by just constantly worrying about it !!

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
I'm not suggesting you are, but anyway... I hope you are not stretching yourself financially to get the R35, because it only take a few issues and is going to be a painful lesson.
I wouldn't buy one unless I could budget several thousand for dealing with any gremlins.

·
Premium Member
6,279 Posts
I'm not suggesting you are, but anyway... I hope you are not stretching yourself financially to get the R35, because it only take a few issues and is going to be a painful lesson.
I wouldn't buy one unless I could budget several thousand for dealing with any gremlins.
This

·
Banned
3,066 Posts
...... Or buy a new one that has a warranty and no previous owners.

I dont think I'd buy a second hand car again to be honest.

·
Premium Member
5,887 Posts
I'm not gonna spoil it by just constantly worrying about it !!
good advice to yourself mate, TBH the r35 is quite reliable for a supercar. it just has some annoying niggles.. enjoyyyyyyyyyyyyy it!

·
Vendor
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Money isn't the issue, being paranoid is.

I understand the type of car it is and the bills involved . It needs to be done sooner or later as its something I've wanted to get for ages so just gonna go for it and not worry .

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
Money isn't the issue, being paranoid is.

I understand the type of car it is and the bills involved . It needs to be done sooner or later as its something I've wanted to get for ages so just gonna go for it and not worry .
If money isn't the issue, why worry?
Enjoy the car.
Something breaks, you fix it.

It's only a worry if you find the car more expensive to run than you can budget for.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts