GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was pushing on a bit on the N#Ring GP circuit but you have too round their...

Overtake or be overtaken/offline and in the way was the order of the session...crazy town...

Anyway after about 4-5 laps of thuggery the brakes cried no more and I went straight on, onto a tarmac run off to sort myself out and then back on track looking for the pit entrance.

Alcon big brake kit all round. Castrol SRF fluid. Braided hoses. Carbotech XP12 pads...

What more can I do other than back off and slow down.?

·
Premium Member
3,024 Posts
I cannot get 4 or five laps at the Ring as one out lap, one rapid lap and a cooling off lap means I have no fuel left whatsoever. Therefore I haven't experienced any brake fade at the Ring with the Alcon big brake kit with RS29's.

How can you do 5 laps without re-fueling?

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I cannot get 4 or five laps at the Ring as one out lap, one rapid lap and a cooling off lap means I have no fuel left whatsoever. Therefore I haven't experienced any brake fade at the Ring with the Alcon big brake kit with RS29's.

How can you do 5 laps without re-fueling?
Hi John

Not 5 laps of the nordschliefe....it was 5 laps of the GP circuit at evening time.

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did you bed the pads in after fitting ?

Maybe that was just the heat cycle ?
The brakes were a good 6mths/1 year old as a set so wont be bedding in issues. If anything I would have said that maybe ive had the best out of them now and they need a change.

·
Premium Member
3,024 Posts
Hi Wayne
Were you in RRR or RRoff, and have you got the latest Ecutec software that allows the VDC to be 100% off?
I have experienced brake issues with overheating but never brake fade with various brake kits.
The fade could be caused by something I didn't believe until it was proved to me. My issues were more to do with brake pads breaking up and discs cracking through.
With your answer I will pm you with my thoughts
John

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It was deffo on RRR I never run it with VDC off cause I aint quick enough to catch it after a huge slide...I have the ecutek from ian done in april I think it was....not sure if that's the most up to date.

·
Premium Member
3,024 Posts
Sorry about the tardy response but work got in the way........
The GP circuit is harder on brakes than the Nordschleife as there are few places to cool the brakes down.

My theory is out the window as you run in RRR and I have done quite a few laps on the GP circuit and never experienced brake fade.

Perhaps you should consider the XP12's to be too aggressive for the discs, but as I haven't tried that actual pad, it is a shot in the dark. Try Pagid RS29's which are the ones I use with the Alcon big brake kit as I have really punished them and they have stood up really well.

·
Premium Member
2,205 Posts
Sorry about the tardy response but work got in the way........
The GP circuit is harder on brakes than the Nordschleife as there are few places to cool the brakes down.

My theory is out the window as you run in RRR and I have done quite a few laps on the GP circuit and never experienced brake fade.

Perhaps you should consider the XP12's to be too aggressive for the discs, but as I haven't tried that actual pad, it is a shot in the dark. Try Pagid RS29's which are the ones I use with the Alcon big brake kit as I have really punished them and they have stood up really well.
john waynes car is on the upgraded 400 mm alcon discs all round with oem callipers not the full super kit

·
Premium Member
3,024 Posts
Hmm...sounds a bit of a cowboy to me...:)
Without knowing the driver I can see why you commented in this way. I would say that he is the least like a 'Cowboy' as virtually everyone on this forum.

He knows GT-R's very well and made the decision to stay with the 400mm Alcon's for a reason, and I believe his choice of pads has caused the brake fade rather than his lack of talent.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Without knowing the driver I can see why you commented in this way. I would say that he is the least like a 'Cowboy' as virtually everyone on this forum.

He knows GT-R's very well and made the decision to stay with the 400mm Alcon's for a reason, and I believe his choice of pads has caused the brake fade rather than his lack of talent.
Doh! It was a joke but you've missed it. Scroll back up to the previous post before my comment...'john waynes...'?

I wouldn't insult anyone I didn't know :bowdown1:

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
:)Ha....brilliant...a cowboy...

I take it that was meant to be a compliment...

Made my night that...

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Anyway guys...just to update the thread....based on advice and listening I will be trying a new set of alcon 400's with RS29 pagid pads shortly...

Best get them in before the bruntingthorpe day...don't want to scare the public at the end of the runway do we...

·
Premium Member
3,024 Posts
Doh! It was a joke but you've missed it. Scroll back up to the previous post before my comment...'john waynes...'?

I wouldn't insult anyone I didn't know :bowdown1:
Sorry Karl, I only had the smart phone on me so hadn't seen the rest. I know he didn't take it the wrong way - just my stupidity when posting from a blank page:mad:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts