GTR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car's just coming up to the 6k service and I'm wondering if anyone has had comments from HPCs on tyre wear when the car's gone in for that?

I've been noticing an increase in the tendancy to tramline under breaking and acceleration and on occassion a little pull to the left under braking too.

So I'm hanging on to see what they say about alignment and tyre wear, but keen to know if anyone has any useful comments!

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
I've been amazed they last so long. My car has done 7k miles and been on track and the tyres have loads of life left.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Same here - just under 7k miles and at least 5mm left all round. Mine has started to tramline more noticeably recently though.

·
Registered
180 Posts
What is the original tyre depth of the Dunlops?

I once saw posted on here that it's 9mm but my HPC felt that was wrong and it was actually less than that.

However, he was not able to tell me what it was!

Should've taken my tyre tread gauge with me last time I was there and quickly checked it out on the brand new cars...

·
Registered
565 Posts
6mm at 6k is very good.

Remember though your tyre may be 6mm in more than 3/4 of the tyre but if your Geo is set up for track then your inner edges might be goosed.

Middlehurst were excellent at my 6k service and even made a special mention of the inner edges even though i had loads of actual tread left elsewhere.

Regards

ScottyB

·
Registered
872 Posts
Mines just coming up to its 12k service and I fear will need a new set - wear at the inner edges seems to be the worst.

Probably gonna try the Bridgestones for the winter. Had a quote £200 less than the Dunlops.....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Guys I must be going to quickly, fronts shot on shoulders (to hot into corners on trackdays and therefore understeering) and rears gone on inner edges. Car has done 8,000 miles with three track days 2 Brands Indy and 1 bedford.............

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi everyone
I've just bought a gun mettalic which had done 18,500 miles.It's now done 21,000 miles.
First set dunlops lasted 16,000 miles.New Bridgestones put on and alignment done by JFE Exeter.Just been to Motorline Tunbridge Wells after noticing my steering wheel was out of line and the car was very tricky to drive, a bit like a manic go cart!
They told me the alignment was miles out on all wheels and proved it with very detailed print out.
Had the wheel alignment done with their Hunter system but bad news was that the tyres are finished ( worn on the inside rim )
Not happy with only 5000 miles for £1200!
Not sure wether to get on to JFE or just swallow it?

·
Registered
76 Posts
PS. The car drives like a dream now.
Really made a difference, before the car would grip any groove or imperfection in the road and I was constantly fighting the wheel now i'm in control.
so if your is really twitchy at the back get the alignment checked but on a hunter system, it's well worth the money.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Is the car not setup to run high camber, even on road setting? Is that why the tyres wear at the shoulders and the rest of the surface area is still good? I was under the impression that someone like me who would rarely track the car would be better off having a camber setting that gave even tyre wear across the whole tyre even if handling is compromised slightly???

1 - 14 of 14 Posts