GTR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
did make me laugh a bit that bit but it says in the ad its a 95 that was registered on a w plate when imported.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
DVLA state that you can't put a newer plate on a car from an older year, so something isn't right. Have a look on their number plates for sale section.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
i thought it can be done on the date of registration into the country as well if imported?

mine is registered on an n plate but is an import but i swear have seen them done like that before, same on 99-00 r34s etc as well i have seen on later plates 01 upwards. Or is that because they were still in production at that time?

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
sorry i meant could the cars be registered on a later plate because they were still in production, i mean a 99 car registered on an 01 plate because the r34 is still in production against the r33 being registered on 00 when stopped being produced in 99

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I haven't called RB because I don't know the reg, chassis number of the car, or who owned it at the time it was tuned. I would feel embarassed phoning RB out of the blue and asking about a black R33 GTR!

Liam

·
Registered
779 Posts
Hi Liam, Yes indeed, i took this car for a test drive about 6 months ago. Now i will be the first to admit i don’t know a huge amount about the mechanical side but had driven about 5 other 33 gtrs prior to this one so will try give you a good idea of what its like.

When i saw it, it was up for 9500 which seemed like too much for it back then. it had also been advertised for little while prior to me seeing it.

Anyway on first impressions it needs cosmetic attention. The interior is warn, the exterior has lots of dents, chips and scratches and its quite rusty underneath. However nothing that cant be sorted and would make a good little project.

Now to the engine.........wow. tell you what, this one flies, pulls like a train and sounds like a jet plan. it also feels and sounds very solid. No knocking, smoked abit but didn’t look like it had been driven for an age. I took my mate Oli (whos a mechanic) along and he also took it for a drive and gave it a once over. he was very impressed with the solidarity of the engine but is by no means an RB expert so worth getting someone more experienced to have a look at it. Not sure if you have the spec list but apparently R34 turbos, N1 internals etc….

On the whole, i liked it, but he wouldn’t budge on price & i wasn’t in a massive hurry as wanted to find the right one. Also the whole reg thing which you guys have spoken about above also concerned me. He said they have loads of receipts and documents on the RB work so worth having a look. i didn’t take a look as I was running out of time as was looking at a few Gtr's in the area and so took his word for it.

Let me know if you have any queries about this one and i will try to help. The sound and feel of this gtr has convinced me to use RB when i overhaul my gtr.

Regards

Wills

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Wills, really helpful. Its going to be really difficult for me to go and have a look, but if I can I will. I emailled for spec and more photos via ebay and got no reply.

If its been sitting for ages and is now suddenly advertised with no reserve on Ebay, I am a little cautious, especially with the W reg thing (that is prob just my ignorance about that system though). I don't know RB personally, but a £6500 rebuild from them is part of what attracts me, but it also underlines how much it will cost if I get a bad 'un. When you say rusty underneath, is that surface rust due to lack of underseal do you think?

For the last year lots of good cars have gone for peanuts, now I'm looking they all seem to be too expensive, too far away etc etc. Just got to be patient I guess.

Liam

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I dont think the w-reg plate is an issue - ive heard of it happening before where an old car has been imported and the DVLA paperwork was filled out wrong, with date of manufacture being filled in with the import date and the car having a much newer plate than it should as a result..

My main concern would be the rust and smoking as mentioned above.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Thanks Wills, really helpful. Its going to be really difficult for me to go and have a look, but if I can I will. I emailled for spec and more photos via ebay and got no reply.

If its been sitting for ages and is now suddenly advertised with no reserve on Ebay, I am a little cautious, especially with the W reg thing (that is prob just my ignorance about that system though). I don't know RB personally, but a £6500 rebuild from them is part of what attracts me, but it also underlines how much it will cost if I get a bad 'un. When you say rusty underneath, is that surface rust due to lack of underseal do you think?

For the last year lots of good cars have gone for peanuts, now I'm looking they all seem to be too expensive, too far away etc etc. Just got to be patient I guess.

Liam

Hi mate,

From memory, as it was 6/7 months ago, it was just surface rust as i was considering the car seriously. anything more than surfance rust and i would have ruled it out.

I would pursue it if it dosent look like its going to attract much on ebay and you could end up getting it for a snip. def keep trying to get more info from RB and the chap @ highline. dosent surprise me if hes not returning calls, was very laid back when i saw him. knew i was travelling all the way up from salisbury to see the car but it was a big effort for him to get the car out the garage. Had some nice stock in there mind.
Also i have noticed he has that yellow Diablo up for sale. It had rear end damage when i was at their garage back then......nice and fixed now!

Prehaps the plate concern isnt too much of and issue afterall, just us being paranoid.

Any other queries o let me know fella.

All the best

Wills

·
Premium Member
3,994 Posts
The Stagea I imported last year was registered with an 08 plate............It does happen!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If I knew it was going to be under 6k I would take a day off and go, but it will probably go crazy in the last few hours.

tempted though...

·
Super Moderator
15,844 Posts
I really wouldn't worry about the date on the reg plate, DVLA make mistakes all the time (I've even seen a MKII MR2 on an '02 plate and they stopped making them in 1999). They don't check up properly.

The only thing I'd say is nowadays I wouldn't buy a car without a reg/chassis check, there are just too many dodgey things that can happen. For the sake of a fiver with a company like www.mycarcheck.com I'd do it and not risk several thousand without doing it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts