GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've got a fairly quick Astra and I don't usually race boy racer types - but I do like to gauge myself against much faster cars so that I can get a genuine impression of how much better some of these cars are. Sometimes I surprise myself and beat these so called super cars.

One car I certainly did not beat was an R33 Skyline GT-R V-Spec - number plate *3 GT* (* replaces letter/number for security). This was last week on the A27 west bound on the way toward Chichester.

My Astra isn't slow - it does a standing quarter in 13.8s (FWD - so it is quicker through the gears - on par with a 13.1s 4x4 car I would say) - but S3GTR killed me.

I'm pretty sure it was not standard - anyone know this car?

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
A box std skyline should quarter in low 13's perhaps less if the driver has the balls for it.

Don't know who he is though.

/Steve

·
Registered
322 Posts
I was told

it was not the done thing to pick on anyone smaller than myself...

Doesn't that extend to Astra's ?

:smokin: :eek:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It did take a bit to make him bite TBH - A few bursts of accelleration made it clear I wasn't a normal Astra. BTW - I didn't mention that my Astra is NA - so I'm getting those quarter mile times without a turbo!

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
er and?

I have hot hatch and max flower boys all over my bumper some days and it is just not worth the effort.

Why do you insist?? you know you are going to lose...

If you smash into us, as your weener brakes aren't up to it (oh blimey I forgot to upgrade those in my pirsuit of 200 BHP and spent it all on pipercross filters and bad ass body kits - wicked) you will be writing cheques your body can't cash.
Take it out on the track but then the max flower lot don't do that do they.
So tell us what "supercar scalps" do you have?

I am sure we would find you lurking on some BB saying "yeah wicked I woz cruizing fru tan last night and I ad a skyline...well nearly"

excuse my abrupt nature but we get this all day and please have a thought for number plates.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For Christ sake N15MOW - you haven't been reading what I'm writing. I'm not a Max Poo twat. I genuinly like to see real performance cars in action.

Just to backup the fact that I'm not a Max Poo idiot, this is my engine spec:
C20XE, 2092cc 16v. Jenvey 48mm parallel throttle bodies, enlarged and flowed SBD inlet manifold, V-Tuning head, matched inlets, multiple angle valve seats, ITG air filter, Pico injectors, modified SBD fuel rail, FSE black top fuel pressure regulator with gauge, SBD race spec cams (295/300), adjustable pulleys, Colsibro valve guides, Paul Ivey race valves with modified head profile, SBD double valve springs, SBD valve seats, SBD titanium spring retainers, SBD solid lifters, stainless steel head gasket, Omega race pistons, Farndon steel rods, standard crank, ARP rod bolts, late C20XE distributorless ignition, MBE 956 ECU, SBD engine wiring loom, Bosch HT leads, NGK-R spark plugs, modified crank case breather system, Piper-X cam cover breather, oil pump modified to increase oil pressure to 65-70psi, SPA oil pressure sensor fitted to C20LET turbo oil feed, standard oil cooler with SPA temp sensor in the sump, 82 degree coolant thermostat, SBD race spec exhaust manifold (by BTB), CoolTec exhaust manifold lagging, 2.5" Maniflow system, 4.5kg lightened and balanced flywheel, Vauxhall 5W40 fully synthetic oil with ZX additive, colour coded red cam and cam belt cover with veiwing holes for cam pulleys, SBD carbon spark plug cover, V-Tuning stainless steel heatshield.

The above gives 250bhp+. My best quarter mile time is 13.8 - but that is when I had 225bhp, it should be 13.6 or less now. The body work on my car is standard - no extra spoilers or anything. Looks like a tidy Mk2 Astra GTE.

I guess nobody knows the car then? Oh well. As I said, I like to gauge myself against faster cars - this is why I was trying to find out the spec of it.

I have edited the first post to discuise the number plate - but can a moderator please adjust the thread subject please as this can not be done by mere members.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
ok so how much did that little lost cost you then?

be honest.

You could have had an R32 GTR for that money. And it goes around corners and has traction. and stops. and has massive cred and cult status.
and would have 400 BHP plus.

I just don't see the point in spending all that dosh on a vauxhall...unless it has sth to do with insurance.

Fair play if you want to but I have always been into Jap cars. The only other thing I would consider is a 911 turbo or a track day special ie caterham, westfield, noble etc.

Have a chat with Durzel as he went from Astra to Skyline...;-) Never looked back as do most people.

I had a rapid 205 GTi once with 16v engine on throttles running 200+bhp...but I never went hunting GTRs mainly out of respect and made to look silly and also it was a bottom less pit for little gain.
I got whooped by a stage 1 Pulsar and that was it....time to go Jap!! traction, power and cred.

"You have to start with a quick car to have a fast car"

:smokin: :p

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I get things cheap most of the time - and I get things second hand, so not as much as you would expect. I can't put an exact figure on this though - I'd guess at £4.5 on the engine and gearbox alone.

Durzel used to use my site (if it is the same Durzel), I also know Richard Bell - he had an Astra too.

At the end of the day, if everyone had a Skyline things would be sooooo boring.

I own an Astra because I bought it when I was 21 and still at Uni. My car has slowly developed over the last 6 years into what it is now. If I could have back all the money I've spent on it over the years, sure I'd buy something different - and most likely a jap car. One day I would really like to own a 911 turbo though.

If I crash the Astra and the engine survives, I'd like to drop it into a Westfield - now that would be quick.

Same game different weapon. :D

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
Am I running in parallel with Nick:D
Nice motor. Not in the same league as the RB26DETT but love the 16v engine. Have a 'red top' in my garage awaiting some TLC.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
200+

N15mow

200 brake my arse :smokin: :eek:

... more like 180...:D

My 205 was 204bhp when built and it was lot quicker than yours..

And it was in Fast car... but I grown up now.. ( Nearly :D :D )

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
this is true...but that was then

and this is now and my GTR would whup yours!!
and you know it beatch...and it hurts...
:p :p
Handbags at dawn!!

PS So what did you hang out the back of last night in the Dam? Knowing you one of those Thai She hes.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Ahh yea but

make the mostg of it...

Early next year, you will eat my fuel vapour...550 plus :D ( that grin is not big enough)

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
yeah right mate

believe it when I see it and proven. Until then you will always be behind...
550 plus me ass. you'll be lucky to get 520 tops.
Bring it on you shirt lifter...

PMGay is a friend....honest.

NLW

·
Registered
931 Posts
Hi Guys,

Mikes car is VERY quick and he realises that its not going to beat a tweaked GTR and he hasn`t said he would so give him some slack. I have worked on and built some vauxhalls that would supprise a few of us GTR owners considering there only mere 2l 16V.

Just ask PMJ how he enjoyed his passanger ride in a Astra Turbo I built :D

Richard

·
Registered
364 Posts
hi all,firstly i started my car modifing on astra's in fact went to a few track days and so on and i have fond memories of my old car 2 litre 16v made many mods on it but let it go as i became fed up with the hydralic lifters sticking and did'nt want to rebuild the head every year as it became a regular thing,but one things for sure i did'nt have any problems against pugs my car was way faster than the average pugs but there you go,anyway eventually i saw the light as there was only so far you could go with the na engine in the vauxhall i did'nt consider the calibre as it was not my cup of tea so went for a 200sx(s14) as it was turbo'ed and was also affordable and also being japanese reliable,it was quick but i soon became bored of it as i really wanted a skyline but did'nt think i could afford one as at this time they were pretty rare. but how things change i now have my skyline but i'll never forget the car that got me started as they are good cars even with there limitations.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Rich - how is Rob's Astra coming along? With the spec that thing is getting, I'd watch out he doesn't beat you up SantaPod! ;) I heard you had some probs with the GT-R - taking this chance to upgrade further?

It seems that many people here started with hot hatches - there is hope for me yet!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just to pour fuel on the fire. This year at a RWYB Avon Raceway I filmed an Astra beat a GTR on the 1/4 mile strip. I cannot remember the times so cannot say whether it was a balls out run by the GTR but will find the footage and have a look.
By the way would still love to own a GTR ever since I got took out in one by a Japanese colleague around the mountains near Nagoya. The unfortunate thing was I could have bought his 12month old R33? Vspec for around 20K + shipping in 1999.
Oh well

Steve

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Turbo astra

Rich.

that car ripped, plus it looked so standard... can't wait till the new one is finished and you can frighten the life out of me in that one:D :eek:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re: Turbo astra

PMJ said:
Rich.

that car ripped, plus it looked so standard... can't wait till the new one is finished and you can frighten the life out of me in that one:D :eek:
That would be mine :)

I wish I'd taken a picture of your face, you were almost shaking when you got out :p

1 - 20 of 21 Posts