GTR Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

Just trying to see who else has or is running the HKS dog box.
They have been discontinued and parts are not available, as I need to replace some dogs on mine I've found somewhere that would be able to make new gears and dog rings etc within a decent time frame. I'm going to have bits made for mine and if there is interest they will make spares and keep them in stock. The company that I am dealing with make boxes and gears for Lola Le Mans cars, rally cross and historical f1 cars etc so they know what they are doing. Been in the business for 40 odd years now.

I imagine there are some people out there who have condemned these boxes and left them on a shelf with a busted 4th dog ring etc.

I'd be intruiged to see who has them. The more interest I get the cheaper they will be for all!
I have seen a host of cars imported recently which have the box fitted, so I know owners are out there! It's an awesome box, only disowned as people thought parts were non existant.

Even if your box is good post up here just intruiged to see where they get to!

Thanks

Chris

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Thats handy. Who is the company that can make them? Is it xtrac?

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
They will also improve them too be shamfering the front on the dogs to let them glide in easier. ;)

Great company and very interested in new adventures. Really impressed with thier set up.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was actually referred on to them by xtrac. They say they refer all smaller work on to them as they can only really take on the bigger run jobs. Had nothing but good things to say about them and are only down the road as such from xtrac also.

I think it was a combo of the box obviously never having been apart before and me never having used a dog box before just combined to one of the dog rings wearing excessively.

There was existing wear obvious in the box once apart but that was my risk of not knowing the history of it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've seen one about on eBay knocking round for a while, might be a bit expensive if you're just after some rings for it though.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any links?

I can get parts so it isn't an issue I just wondered if anyone else needed anything :)

·
Registered
441 Posts
I have one in my drag 33. Interesting post. keep us updated :)

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No worries.

Am actually In discussions with Holinger regarding parts also as we have compared my box to their version.
Awaiting prices from them for parts and can see which way is best to go.

Will let everyone know once things are finalised.
If anyone needs anything let me know and can ask.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Was a bit tempted to fit on when I made mine a manual but couldn't find out that much about them, how good are they? Is sixth mainly just for motorway cruising or does it still pull well?

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well mine still pulls well. Lol

I love the box, takes a bit of getting used to but is a great bit of kit.
It's only downside was it being discontinued.
From what we have seen so far though most the parts are the same as the original Holinger made version.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts