GTR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you are running an AEM ecu and dont have any problems?

Also be interesting to see how many people are having problems....

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
Mine has been very good so far.

The issue is, in my opinion, it's complexity and the very limited availability of technical resource.

If you need assistance, I can point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
R32 - you keep saying its the complexity / user error that is the problem with the AEM.

It is quite clear that this is not the case and that the AEM is unable to reliably read the nissan CAS. That is without mentioning the AEM CDi units that fail, the Scooby AEM ECU`s that stall when the case is earthed etc etc.

As it stands I would not go within 100miles of an AEM ecu for well proven and potentially catastrophic reasons.......

·
Registered
229 Posts
I'm running a AEM EMS. I've had no problems with it so far and has been great to tune and drivability.

It was completely plug and play (except for wiring up the MAP), loaded the start-up CAL and she started right up.

If you have the newer versions of software you should't run into any problems with the CAS.

I know of 4 GTR's in the east coast (including mine) that recently installed AEM's (the last 3 months) and everyone has been very happy with them.

John

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
And I know of at least 4 that dont run properly even with the `new` software. Not to mention the `tuners` that now refuse to stock them.

Note I havn`t said that they simply all don`t work - but do you want to risk your nice new (or indeed old) engine when there is ANY question at all over the ECU`s capability to run safely?

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
what about the irratic ignition??
I would never ever ever run that on a big power engine... according to the graph that Hugh Keir has, the ignition can be + - 10degrees... it will result in detonation, and in the end kill your engine....

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
No performance engine ECU should take crank position from the camshaft. There is a whole list of ECU's that don't recommend using the CAS for crank position. The AEM works as well as you would expect using this system.

Obviously I'm speaking from 1st hand experiance. I don't know why others don't have any sucess with the AEM, hence my comments.

After a tipoff from a forum member, I've found someone who actually knows about the AEM and has worked with them for over 4 years. I have every confidance with the AEM as long as its in the right hands.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is for a series 1 rb25det btw.

I've had my ecu for over 6 months now and can't find anyone thats I trust who wil touch it.
It doesnt read the cas well enough to even get it to start.

The stock ecu starts the car better even with no maf (went for map), 740's and a whole bunch of other stuff.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
R32 - yet again! - "No performance engine ECU should take crank position from the camshaft" - I assume you mean apart from Nissan OEM, Apexi PFC, HKS F-con pro etc etc etc.

"There is a whole list of ECU's that don't recommend using the CAS for crank position. The AEM works as well as you would expect using this system" - Errm except it clearly doesn`t!

I do agree with you in principal that belt drien CAS is not ideal BUT the AEM is sold as plug-n-play. Not plug`n`play - have endless starting problems and potentially destroy you engine then change to crank-angle sensing direct........

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have been told that the universal AEM ems can support crank angle sensors, but the plug n play version will not.

I understand that its not as safe/reliable to measure from the crank. If I hadn't bought the AEM I would now go for omex 710. But as I have this AEM ecu, I need to get it running/started!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts