GTR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

New guy here reaching out from Japan. I'm an American living in Tokyo for a couple years. While here, I decided I should get my high-school dream car, a R34. I also had a s15 last year that was amazing too. That said, I typically run JRZ's on my cars in California (where I'm from). For the r34 GTR, I went with JRZ RS Sport Two-ways. Since installed, they have made quite a noise clunking about in the top hat area. It sounds like loose top hats, but they aren't loose. It could be the piston knocking around inside the pillow mount. but everything looks tidy and the shops have said there's no issues with the JRZ's.

I've taken the car to three shops so far and they can't figure it out. The last shop I went yesterday was the only JRZ authorized dealer in Japan. I told JRZ about my issue and they said to go to that shop. That shop suggested adding sound deadening materials or working with JRZ to create a different top hat. Anyone using JRZ's or similar pillow mount top hats? I tried the SAU forums but thought I'd have better luck finding a fellow JRZ user in the UK. JRZ's are like non-existent in Japan for GTR's.

I took a couple quick videos so you can hear the noise:
I'm sorry but because I have less than 3 posts I can't provide you with the links to my videos on my youtube account, sorry. That's a shame because you can hear the noise in the videos....uggh.

Photos of my car and suspension are attached.

Appreciate any help! It's driving me crazy. If it's normal then all good, but if not then...shoot.

---Evan

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
I remember years ago in the Mitsubishi FTO owners club people having a similar noise when lowering their cars. Turns out they hadn't fitted shortened drop links so there wasn't enough movement in the suspension hence the banging noise. Not sure if it is the same noise as on your R34 (lovely btw!) but it is the only thing I could think of! :confused:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I remember years ago in the Mitsubishi FTO owners club people having a similar noise when lowering their cars. Turns out they hadn't fitted shortened drop links so there wasn't enough movement in the suspension hence the banging noise. Not sure if it is the same noise as on your R34 (lovely btw!) but it is the only thing I could think of! :confused:
Thanks man, yeah it could be I guess. Although we tried raising up the car to the max on the JRZ and it looked like the same height as OEM and it still made noise. I've contacted JRZ themselves. Hopefully they'll help out. I was just curious if other folks with similar top hat designs have the same noise issue.

Thanks again! Any thoughts are good thoughts to this mystery.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts