GTR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm going to do a gearbox oil change in my R33 GTR soon and can't decide what oil to buy as I hear so many mixed stories that redline shockproof (lightweight) is now best for the gearboxes as they are getting old now and redline is a really good fully synthetic oil to use in skyline boxes anyway and helps look after them and if they have syncro problems it can help with that too, or that I should just buy the MT-90 oil as that is what is recommended for the gearboxes??

Or perhaps what I was thinking was mixed the two oils together and putting in 3 litres of MT-90 and then 1 litre of redline shockproof, or is it not good to mix the two oils??

Really confused anyone shed some light on what they use and what I should put in it? Thanks

·
Registered
568 Posts
I have used Redline lightweight in my 33 GTR for over 12 years. When I purchased it there was a small grind into 4th every once in a while. Never happened once I switched. 3 liters of fluid is more than enough. Don't use the red heavy, ever. Only the blue lightweight. Some mix 2 lightweights with one mt90. I go full lightweight with no issues. Have done the same with many customer cars all have been great.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have used Redline lightweight in my 33 GTR for over 12 years. When I purchased it there was a small grind into 4th every once in a while. Never happened once I switched. 3 liters of fluid is more than enough. Don't use the red heavy, ever. Only the blue lightweight. Some mix 2 lightweights with one mt90. I go full lightweight with no issues. Have done the same with many customer cars all have been great.

Thank you for your response, I think I will probably use 2x lightweight and the rest MT-90 just because I over worry especially when they even say not for most syncro boxes

Just wondering how come you mention not to use more then 3 litres of fluid? I thought the gearbox takes when level at the filler plug up to around 4 litres of fluid?

Thanks

·
Registered
988 Posts
I contacted Redline directly and they recommended MT-90 specifically. They stated friction modifiers aren't really suitable for the synchros.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I contacted Redline directly and they recommended MT-90 specifically. They stated friction modifiers aren't really suitable for the synchros.
See this is what makes me worry about using the shockproof stuff and why I'm not sure what to do as some say it's fine to use and others don't :confused:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I use heavyweight for my track car. Lots of hard miles. Works great. Just need to be slow with 2nd the first shift of the day.
That's absolutely fair enough to use it in your case, but with mine I only cover like 1500 miles a year and it's all street driving except I go to santapod drag strip once a year and take it on the drag strip that's the only time the car gets driven hard, but mainly all street driving.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Redline heavy is great if you're traveling to the sun. Otherwise doubtful you'll even get it up to temp. Lightweight FTW.

·
Registered
568 Posts
We had cars pour out the excess fluid when over filled, and if you go by the fill till it pours out you won't get too much more than 3 liters.

·
Registered
988 Posts
That's absolutely fair enough to use it in your case, but with mine I only cover like 1500 miles a year and it's all street driving except I go to santapod drag strip once a year and take it on the drag strip that's the only time the car gets driven hard, but mainly all street driving.
Are you having problems with your gearbox, crunching etc? If so then perhaps consider the Shockproof, as many people use it and it alleviates their issues. If your gearbox seems fine and since it's mainly a road going car then stick with MT-90 (and also avoid using a short shifter as they knacker the synchros).

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Are you having problems with your gearbox, crunching etc? If so then perhaps consider the Shockproof, as many people use it and it alleviates their issues. If your gearbox seems fine and since it's mainly a road going car then stick with MT-90 (and also avoid using a short shifter as they knacker the synchros).
Mine gearbox is pretty much perfect except it just has a very tiny crunch going from 4th to 5th but that is only at high speed/rpm if i don't change gear quick going 4th to 5th it never does it, it's only if i do it very quick.
You made a going point there about the short shifter, as I often thought about them, my GTR came with a short shifter already installed else it wouldn't have one, because of the slight synchro crunch probably caused by the short shifter I might put in 2 litres of shock proof and 1 litre of the MT90

·
Registered
988 Posts
Mine gearbox is pretty much perfect except it just has a very tiny crunch going from 4th to 5th but that is only at high speed/rpm if i don't change gear quick going 4th to 5th it never does it, it's only if i do it very quick.
You made a going point there about the short shifter, as I often thought about them, my GTR came with a short shifter already installed else it wouldn't have one, because of the slight synchro crunch probably caused by the short shifter I might put in 2 litres of shock proof and 1 litre of the MT90
Looking long term, perhaps consider getting rid off the short shifter and get a Nismo Solid Shifter instead? Kinder on the synchros and then you go with using the recommended MT-90, it's what I'd do but up to you really.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Where do you all get the 3L from? Miscalculation from stupid US units?
It's 4.1L in the R32 R33 GTR gearbox from the manual and 3.9 or something like that in real life.

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
Nismo use 2189E 75W-140 in the clubman R32/33 and supply it with their Getrag conversions. The specs are better than similar Motul Gear Competition. Sadly not easy to find in UK at reasonable prices.

I’m using Millers Nanodrive CRX 75w140 NT+ which is easily found in UK.

·
Registered
144 Posts
The Getrag should use different oil than the standard R3X/Z32/etc. 5 speed transmission.

If you've decided to use Redline oil, and they recommend MT-90, it's probably best to go with that. Of course it's possible to use something different and achieve a (perceivably) equally good result but, unless you've tried using MT-90 and had a problem, why use anything else?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The Getrag should use different oil than the standard R3X/Z32/etc. 5 speed transmission.

If you've decided to use Redline oil, and they recommend MT-90, it's probably best to go with that. Of course it's possible to use something different and achieve a (perceivably) equally good result but, unless you've tried using MT-90 and had a problem, why use anything else?

This is a good point, I've decided to buy the MT-90 as it is recommended and seems like very good stuff and confirms it will help slipperiness with the synchromisers protect them and the gears as well and is also non corrosive plus as said I think I will try it and see how it goes using this, if the tiny notchy feeling I have doesn't disappear at high speed going 4th into 5th then I'll try the Shockproof but seeing as my gearbox is in pretty good condition I'll stick to the MT-90 also what defiantly hasn't helped is the fact my car has a short shifter fitted, and since the day I bought it, it almost feels like it isn't a long enough throw on the shifter to fully engage 5th every other gear is fine cold or hot. So we shall see or I may just stick in 3 litres of MT-90 and 1 litre shockproof then I get best of both worlds (y)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts