GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious as to who has personal experience with these. I've run searches here and on a few of the other Nissan boards, haven't seen much. A few people have recommended them, one guy bought them but hasn't used them yet and that's pretty much it.

Does anyone have any experience with this Spool conrods?

SPOOL RB30 CONRODS - Spool Imports - Japanese Performance Parts

Weight 630 grams

Std OEM rods weigh 702 grams

Small End Pin Size - 21mm

High tensile 4340 forged steel

2 Piece forging

Hardness of HRC33-38

Doweled cap for precision alignment

X-RAY & Sonic tested

Quenching and heat treated

Shot peened

100% Magnafluxed

Silicon bronze bushing

Weight Matched Sets + - 1 gram

Sizing + - 0.0001"

THEY ARE MADE FROM A 2 PIECE CHROMEMOLY STEEL FORGING TO ENSURE MAXIMUM STRENGTH AND DURABILITY AND COME STANDARD WITH ARP 2000 FASTNERS.

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
Arn't they just another mass produced chinese rod rebranded much the same as eagle etc??

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Probably, I can't find anything to say otherwise.

However when the virtual pioneer of the RB30 world doesn't know anything about them, that says quite a bit. :chuckle:

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
They sure look identicle to the Eagle rods, if your not going for real big power these would probably be fine,

Rob

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Spool is plenty well known, at least around Australian circles.
A lot of people are highly anticipating their 3.4L stoker kit for the 30 which comes out in a few months.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They sure look identicle to the Eagle rods, if your not going for real big power these would probably be fine,

Rob
A friend of mine did 841 rwhp @ 32 psi on Eagle conrods with a 2JZ...I know his engine builder and he's pretty adamant in confessing his love of Carillos, I'm sure he gave him hell for bringing him a set of Eagles.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Spool is plenty well known, at least around Australian circles.
A lot of people are highly anticipating their 3.4L stoker kit for the 30 which comes out in a few months.
Are they made in Australia or is this more Chinese stuff? I'm reading their website and I notice that they tout the specs of the rod but the specific language as to who and where they're made is absent. They use vague phrases like "stocked in Brisbane".

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Are they made in Australia or is this more Chinese stuff? I'm reading their website and I notice that they tout the specs of the rod but the specific language as to who and where they're made is absent. They use vague phrases like "stocked in Brisbane".
I don't know where its made, but I assume china.

Nothing wrong with chinese stuff if the factories have good QA practices.
You'd be surprised how much mainstream tuner gear originates from china, how do you think it is so easy for them to copy? :chuckle:

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You would be surprised at just how much it costs to maintain a decent standard of QC on even relatively inexpensive projects. Up until about 2 months ago I'd spent the last 4 years or so dealing with Chinese manufacturing companies.

I've seen everything from plastic hand trucks painted with ferrous paint to give off the appearance of being steel, to dyno straps made from 2,000 lb breaking strength webbing, to shipping containers filled with rocks when container orders couldn't be filled in time. I've also had products that I designed plagiarized by Chinese manufacturers. Needless to say, I don't trust anything that comes out of that country unless there's a VERY reputable name backing it.

If there's an American made alternative, I'd rather take that route. At least if I buy a set of Pauter rods (who do make an RB30 conrod incidentally) and they fail at 400 BHP because they're defective, I can fly to California and kick in someone's door. Can't do that when the company you bought parts from is in Zheijang province.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm reminded of a certain 'racing' coilover manufacturer (I'm not going to name names because I don't want to open up that can of worms) that was producing baby clothing, parishables and pet toys in the same factory. :chuckle:

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
I know what you mean, I've been to china 3 times in the last 2 years and toured several factories and alot of the time its quite shocking to say the least, I even saw "made in Australia" and "made in the USA" stickers being put on items as they were being boxed up for export (both VERY well known and respected brands :nervous: )

There are no rules, there is no loyalty shown to the customer or any other factory and its open season, may the best man win over there.

Rob

·
Registered
363 Posts
ive had them side by side with Eagle...i must say the finish and tolerance specs of them are better than Eagle.

But id use prepped and re-sized stock RB26 rods over anything produced in China.

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
Dirt.......you been back out to beat your 9.45 yet and did you ever end up putting the rear interior back in for any of the runs?

Rob

·
Registered
677 Posts
I don't like to see and don't understand tuners that bag other products just to push there own.. not good business .. live and let live I would say ..I have used spool rods and found them with out fault..Other high end tuners in Aussie and NZ use them from Spool and have no issues..

used, tested, and enjoyed

This forum use to be a great place to come share ideas and talk different options over, I'm really not sure anymore. looks like there is a few making the opinion of others seem not worthy

Ho Hum ...

·
Registered
248 Posts
Thought I'd dig up an old thread as can't find any info on the spool stuff. Anybody used there RB26 rebuild kits or RB28 stroker kits? See they do a billet crank. How does it compare to the other brands?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts