GTR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brakes are often an issue with Skylines and generally AP Racing seem to come out on top for the choice for brake upgrades. From personal experience with AP Racing Ltd, I now know why. Since fitting their 6 pot kit myself, there have been a couple of issues which AP have bent over backwards to resolve for me. Absolutely first class company with a first class product!

I've just fitted DS2500s which seem to be much better than the Z Rates which come with the kit.

Plus, as I posted before, they kindly gave me one of their clutches to evaluate which is great and a very reasonable alternative to some of the more expensive clutches out there.

I was prompted to post this when I noticed this evening that Tommi Makinen's Evo had AP Racing brakes. If they're good enough for Tommi, they're good enough for me. :)

Peter.

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hi Dave,

That was one issue. Now resolved hopefully after cleaning off pad deposits and a change to a set of DS2500s. I'll find out on Friday at Bedford....

Peter.

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
Hi Peter,

Does the 6 pot kit come with braided hoses or just normal rubber ones??

And one more question....did you do anything to the rear brakes to compensate for the improved braking power up front (ie better pads...)?

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
AP 6 pot kit.

DCD

I also have (2 months ago) had the AP 6 pot upgrade on my 33. I use the FERODO DS 2500 pads on the front and upped the rears by putting DS 2000 pads on the stock Brembo calipers. The kit does not come with braided hoses although NISMO do the kit now Goodridge are looking in to supplying in the future.

Peter

Just one question as the 344mm kit which we both have has the grooved discs I believe some of the viabration/noise you may have felt/heard are the grooves themselves! I had a similar feel on track in the Subaru with AP 4 pot kit as well as at Donno last month although I had no fade in any way. The larger kit (18 inch) 370mm has a floral pattern on the disc which reduces noise under haevy braking.

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
Ian...I'm planning on fitting the Nismo braided hoses next time I'm down in Tokyo. So are you saying that these hoses are OK to use with the AP 6 pot kit?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Braided lines

DCD well Mark at Abbey now has a few sets in stock and is keen for me to get them on. So they obviously will fit and I would say the pedal responce should be a lot better as well (if thats possilble as I find the brakes absolutely monster as they are!).

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
Excellent!! Always good to find out you can use stuff with future upgrades.

Oh....and another thing. I'm wondering weather a master cylinder stopper will be a worthwhile thing to fit. I keep hearing that you get better pedal feel....
There is a Cusco one for sale at 9k yen at a local shop....I'm wondering if I should get it...

comments...

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I looked in to these when I was tanking the STI around the tracks last year, I hear the pedal is a lot fiirmer with less ride. Again I have no problem with pedal travel at the moment, it may be a different story next spring when I up the BHP but until then I'm pretty happy with my brake set up.

Its a cheap way of improving the brake feel. (for a Subaru)

www.powerengineering.co.uk (products then brakes)

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good morning chaps.

Dino, I fitted the Cusco MC bracket (see http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/upload/showthread.php?threadid=524 ) and it seems to be a good cheap mod.

Ian, the judder only came on strong in the later sessions at Kemble after 2 or 3 laps on the track. Dave and Jon witnessed the severity of it. It seems that as Kemble is a left hand circuit, the nearside disc obviously loads up much more than the offside. This disc was covered in pad deposits whereas the offside disc was clean. I guess the Z Rates just aren't up to track work and I think AP are looking at supplying DS2500s with the kit at some time in the future. I'm hoping the DS2500s perform well on Friday at Bedford. :)

Peter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts