GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know they are they same company, but who makes better brakes?
or what is the best choice for a Skyline?
dont put Baer in this comparo, coz i dont trust american built quality.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Brembo buy up the Opposition

McLarenFan/Dino,

A rep at the Frankfurt motor show told me that Brembo had bought AP racing. :confused:

I had complained to him about the breaking problems that we all seem to have with GTR’s and he told me he would email me back but so far nothing. :(

I for one have had to many track/ring days cut short because of fading Brembo breaks. :mad:

Last time at the ring my break pedal hit the floor as I went into Bergwerk (a down hill quite tight right hander) I was lucky to come out safely. :eek:

The problem seems to be the break fluid boiling I’ve tried different pads, and fluids. Currently I’ve got DS 2000 pads and Gunk yes Gunk DOT 4.1 break fluid.

I intend to install braded hoses and use Castrol SRF fluid soon. :)

If this fails then new calipers and disks are next. ;)

Paul

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
Skylining....thanks for the info, I had no clue they bought AP out.
I had a chat with a Brembo rep at the Tokyo motorshow and he told me that a carbon/ceramic kit might be available for sale next year. Could be something to look at, although I suspect it will be very expensive.

You should definitely go for the braided hoses, and try out a master cylinder blocker...probably the cheapest modification you can do to improve pedal feel. As for brake fade, well with a big heavy car like the GTR it is hard to avoid, especially on a demanding tracl like der 'ring. Try out 5.1 fluid.

Cheers

·
Registered
404 Posts
DOT 5.1

Dino,

The Carbon Ceramics where on show for certain cars (F40 etc) they told me that the generic types will be available in 2003. :confused:

I can’t use DOT 5.1 on a Skyline here because the breaking system isn’t airtight. :( Apparently DOT 5.1 will absorbs water :eek: so German suppliers wont sell it to you unless the car is TUV approved to do so. :confused:

Paul.

PS were in Italy are you from ?

·
Registered
404 Posts
I love Italy

Dino,

Do I know Vicenza?

I try to get to the Caserme Ederle, at least twice a year for the past 8 years. I also worked in Mestre for 3 weeks. :)

I could go on for pages about the food, the friendly people, (the women ;) ) the shopping, the weather, the mountains Oh I’m fed up with Frankfurt now. I’ll just have to call Umberto and have him pull the plug on his computer system again. :D

I usually stay on base or at the Victoria Hotel, Eat at Pepi’s in Mestre (the best seafood restaurant in the world) and shop at the Familia Center, then car fully loaded with local food return to Germany.

Why didn’t your friend buy a German spec Evo 6 :confused:

And where does he live in Germany? Some of the TUV test centers are easier to deal with than others.

Paul.

PS If you crave attention drive a Skyline GTR in Italy ;)

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
Wow...the world is a small place!! I used to know an american fellow who was on post at Ederle...now he is in Germany somewhere!

I'll be over in December...fancy meeting up?? I'm going to a track day in Monza with my batterd up Alfa...but I'll be driving a friends Exige too.

Ciao

·
Registered
225 Posts
All brake fluids are hydroscopic - I thought that the problem was silicon-based fluids ate through the seals of calipers not designed for it
:confused:

·
Registered
404 Posts
Small world

Dino,

I’d love too meet up but I’m going to be in Thailand, for 6 weeks in December and January. ;)

Oh yes, the food, the people, the weather, the beaches. I’ll just leave Umberto alone and wait until I get there. :)

Monza Wow. :D

Phil,

My German’s not that good really, but my understanding was that you need at special air tight system that has been approved by the TUV (translates as Technical Surveillance Association) in order to use DOT 5.1 anyway as I couldn’t provide the necessary paperwork the dealer wouldn’t sell any to me :confused:

Paul.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
blue stuff

Try ATE Blue Racing brake fluid. I've used it on my R32 on the 'Ring with 342 AP 6-pots. It is comparable with AP600, but it is not as hygroscopic. Never had problems; also, use the throttle instead of the breaks....:D

·
Registered
404 Posts
Stop this madness

Somberg,

Who supplies ATE Blue Racing break fluid? and didn’t you read my earlier posting that I drove from Bergwerk to the carpark with no breaks :eek: and even kept up with Sebina in her M5 ring taxi for some of the way. Then drove home with an airlock in the system. So who needs breaks anyway.

Paul

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
One step beyond (talking about madness..)

Paul

How old was your break fluid? Always make sure it is fresh (no older than 1 year), especially on the 'Ring !! Tip: touch the brake pedals slightly after you've used them (only when the car is straight). You will feel it when the pedal goes soft and you'll have time enough to slow down.

I buy that blue stuff (which is actually German stuff) from a general autopart store in Holland. You should be able to buy it from Sandler maybe, or ISA Racing. If they don't have it, they should be able to order it. It's cheaper than AP600 and SRF. Having said that, it may state on the container that it's "for racing purposes only". I'll have a look on the container next time I see it and remember it.

Re. Sabine: you should be able to at least keep up with her ! She's usually got 3 passengers !:D
However, it's not very nice to drive there without brakes.:p

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
so in conclusion AP racing is the way to go with skylines and any other cars?

BTW, Brembo bought AP, it's an old story.
though brembo bought AP, but they never touch AP r&d. so AP do their own stuff brembo do their own stuff. they both are the same co. but they are still trying to outdo each other interms brake tech and performance.

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
Well it doesn't look like anyone concluded that AP is better than Brembo.
The reason most people go with the AP kit is because it is considerably cheeper than the Brembo ones. Plus their 8 caliper system is quite good...not to mention the forthcoming carbon/ceramic discs!

·
Registered
404 Posts
Running Rings and stopping

Somberg,

I guess I’ll just have to give you the whole story what happened that day at the ring. :rolleyes:

I was with 2 friends that work for BMW, One was there with his almost new M coupe, the other with is very modified MGF. :)

I was on my third consecutive lap (ahead of my freinds) when having been passed by a road legal Porsche 962 just before the mini carousel and saw it again going out again at the barrier so I thought I’d have a go and catch up. :)

Well I court a few glimpses up as far a Ardenau Forest, then my breaks started to fade as I went into that sweeping left hander just passed there, I ignored it a bit at first but by the time I got to Berkwerk, the peddle hit the floor. :eek:

I was able to pump up the breaks to work but was not giving chase anymore. :(

Limping back to the car park the breaks got better but I was taking no risks. That’s when Sabina passed me just a short distance passed the Carousel. :eek:

I was able to stay with her most of the way, but as you know for most of that section you don’t need the breaks much and Sabina is showboating 4 wheel drifts through every corner. :D

When I got back to the car park one of my friend told me that the 962 driver was none other than Keke Rosberg. For those that don’t know of him he used to be a Formula 1 driver, and mentored Mika Hakkinen to 2 world championships. :smokin:

Morel, ‘don’t bite off more that you can chew’. :D

Bottom line here the standard Brembo breaks are fine for normal road use but under such pressure (bad pun) they fade. :(

Most GTR owners seem to feel the AP Racing 6 pot is the best value for money upgrade. However, there are other systems and I think a more appropriate question would be, what is the best value break system upgrade?

Paul.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Nice story !

Paul

Nice story ! That sheds some light on things.

I know the 342 AP 6-pot kit works for an R32 on the 'Ring.
I also expect the 355 4-pot Brembo's to work (N1 R34 brakes I believe). It's a matter of price at the end, since you'll have to have matching wheels.

BTW I haven't had problems for 6 consecutive laps in my screaming-in-every-corner BMW M5 (3.8 E39, not V8). The car is 1600+ kgs, the brakes are about the size of Brembo R33 std brakes. There must be a difference...;)

How old was your brake fluid?

Andre.

·
Registered
404 Posts
aging fluid

Andre,

Sorry, forgot my break fluid was changed in January 2000, so was about 18 months old. :(

And was changed again this week with more of the same Gunk DOT 4.1 :eek: But it's cheep!

Paul.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Too Old Mate

Paul

18 months is too much. Try it once more with the new fluid; it should last longer than 3 laps.......:)

Andre.

PS how cheap is your car....?

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
I tried the Motul RBF600 brake fluid with my new AP 6 pot kit at Kemble last week courtesy of GTaRt. No problems at all and it's got a higher BP than ATE Blue for about the same cost, i.e. much cheaper than SRF or a new car!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts