GTR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just finished fitting a pair of GT2860 turbos to my R32 GTR and I'm now in the process of fitting some sard 700cc injectors + a Tomei 280L/h fuel pump.
I'm planning on trying to map the car with help from a friend of mine, who has the datalogit system along with PLX device wideband Lambda sensor. Would anybody with similar spec car (and Apexi PFC) be willing to let me borrow their fuel and ignition maps so that I could use it as a base for comparison when mapping my car? I know this is a bit of a long shot but if anyone can help it would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Aktar

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
I'd send you mine but A: I don't have Datalogit so I'd have to handwrite the maps off the commander, then type it into Excel. It's a lot but then B: it won't help you because of these variables:

1) Even though I also have Sard (Denso)700cc injectors, we may not be running the same fuel pressure. The fuel pump shouldn't make a difference in mapping, but the fuel pressure regulator does, in terms of setting your injector adjustments.

2) Our CAS sensors would have to be in exactly the same position in order for the ignition maps to match up. I realized this when my tuner retarded the CAS to make the engine safer for high boost levels. I then had to arduously remap much of my ignition map to get response back (high rpm/load cells are safely retarded though).

3) your afm's would have to be in exactly the same shape as mine. I don't know how accurate or how off mine are.

You know, with a friend, some common sense, a Datalogit, and most importantly, accurate EGT, knock, and wideband lambda data, you can iron out your own map on an empty road with some patience and care in avoiding knock. I don't know how good self-mapping on the road compares with dyno-mapping by a pro, but in my case, I had no choice - lots of shops sell Apexi but no one can tune a Power FC in this entire fecking country.

Basically, I used the knock sensors to dial in my ignition map (kept retarding until knock readings peaked in the 'teens), EGT to know how much I could lean out the fuel map, and A/F in both cases - fueling rich can also help lower knock and let you get away with timing that's a degree or two more advanced, and of course A/F is just as important as EGT with the fuel map.

What's your boost controller? As the 2860s will flow a lot more than stock, you'll want to start your ignition map very retarded and your fuel map rich to be on the safe side. Are your AFM's upgraded? I've maxed out mine with stock turbos, so anything larger will be utterly inadequete.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kismetcaptain, thanks for the reply, I’m gonna be mapping the car this wkend so will post outcome later next week, I just hope nothing blows up.

I’m currently using a Nismo adj regulator on stock rail, I know that when Rod Bell originally mapped the car he set the pressure a little higher than standard 3 bar but I’m not sure what it’s set to?
I was planning on starting out just as you have described by retarding my ignition and increasing my fueling at the beginning and then advancing and leaning it out as I progress. What sort of AFR readings did you have at idle and when on the throttle? Unfortunately I don’t have an EGT but I do have some DET CANS so can listen for dreaded knock.

BTW I’m running a HKS EVC4 boost controller and have stock AFM at the moment, will probably upgrade these to Z32 items in the near future.

·
Registered
826 Posts
i have the same turbos and a similar set up,and im in the north east.
could you not save the settings off my ecu onto the commander ?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts