GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP!!!! :confused:

Im an owner of a second hand skyline with an apexi power fc ecu which I am very happy with but im wanting to add some more modifications to my car. I don't have a hand controller but have been told that if the power fc is 'locked' it just needs throwing away as its been rendered useless???

this horrified me to think that a really great piece of engineering can be put in this state...

so the question is:

how do I find out if its locked or not (cheaply) I.e. without buying a hand controller to be told that ..yes its no good?

and if it is, is there a way of resetting it back to your original condition with out throwing it away?

hope you can help

Dean :confused:

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Locked PowerFC

Power FCs can be locked by the tuners using the Laptop Commander. Once locked they cannot be unlocked except by that tuner.

This problem has occurred on some GTRs imported from Japan with locked ECUs by the Jap tuners and yes, they have to be binned (or left as is).

This should not occur if fitted in UK as they are not locked, since most people do not have laptop programmer.

Only way to tell is with handheld or laptop.

Guy

·
Registered
832 Posts
Speak to Tony or Mark @ Abbey Motorsport on 01883 732331, they may be able to advise you.

Ultimately though, I think you'll need to find out who mapped it in the first place, as they're the ones that will be able to unlock it and this obviously should have been done before selling it, considering it was one of the "features" of the car and it's not fully usable in its current state.

EDITED BY GUY

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
Dean,

Come see me at Billing, and I'll plug my Commander in and see what it says. :)

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks chaps

Jasono are you there on sunday, Im trying my utmost to be there on sunday so thanks for the offer

as for finding out who had the car before me?? someone in jap land i have wrote a letter to the formr owner but had no reply so.........bugger!

Dean

·
Registered
10 Posts
uk_skyman said:
HELP!!!! :confused:

Im an owner of a second hand skyline with an apexi power fc ecu which I am very happy with but im wanting to add some more modifications to my car. I don't have a hand controller but have been told that if the power fc is 'locked' it just needs throwing away as its been rendered useless???

this horrified me to think that a really great piece of engineering can be put in this state...

so the question is:

how do I find out if its locked or not (cheaply) I.e. without buying a hand controller to be told that ..yes its no good?

and if it is, is there a way of resetting it back to your original condition with out throwing it away?

hope you can help

Dean :confused:
When you buy a new PFC and H/C in Japan they don`t come with any software. Most of the tuners just tune them with the hand controller. I have sold a lot of used and new units and I have never had any problems with them being locked.

Regards
nengun Japan

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the news

im hoping thats true as im buying a hand controler from japan to fit my fc as its an older version...

so i hope its not locked :)

nengun ive pm'd you

Dean

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
Dean,

Wish you had caught me at JAE.

Rod wouldn't have been surprised to find that his software wouldn't communicate with your PFC would he ;)

If you've not already bought the controller, then get Rod to call me and I could send mine down to him for a trial.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Forget the software you don`t need it. If the hand controller I am sending him dosen`t work I will give his money back.

Best regards
nengun

JasonO said:
Dean,

Wish you had caught me at JAE.

Rod wouldn't have been surprised to find that his software wouldn't communicate with your PFC would he ;)

If you've not already bought the controller, then get Rod to call me and I could send mine down to him for a trial.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I suppose that if someone here offers to send his FCCommander to someone else, that that means the engine will start without the FC Commander. Is this correct? (I am asking this because I have been told otherwise).

In case the engine will not start if you remove the FC Commander, I find that a pretty good anti theft device. :)

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
The engine will start without the Commander plugged in, it will not suffice as an anti theft measure.

It is possible to reduce the rev limit to say 3000 rpm and remove the commander when taking the car to have work done on it though.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
outcome

Was wondering, have you got any further forward with your pfc problem ?
Gary
GT-ART

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
waiting!

Hi Gary,

Just waiting delivery from Neugen, then its all go i hope....

Its took a while for him to track an old controller for my fc, so anytime now, but i will keep you posted...

Fingers crossd for me....

Dean.... :)

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
APEXI

Dean,
its amazing how many types\models of apexi there are when you are trying to track down a hand controller, isnt it,the latest versions are packed full of even more goodies but no one has the software to realise all these goodies over here,or do they;)
keep us posted
Gary
GT-ART

1 - 20 of 22 Posts