GTR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
WE BUY ALL SKYLINES 07590106520
3,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if a power fc is mapped to a car with exhaust, filters and decat.

can the power fc then be swapped to another car which has the exact same mods on it?

or does it really need to be mapped again?

·
Registered
386 Posts
It does really need to be tuned properly.
But if it's got a GB Stg1 tune it will be better than a Jap ECU like Mines etc.
Our fuel really is CRAP compared with JDM!!!!

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
If you have had the car mapped and you have another with the same spec you can swop them over without worry.

You can still run it in the car but if either of the above are not the case a remap is adviseable. You can still check quite a few things yourself if you have the controller with it .

·
Registered
386 Posts
If you've got a Stage 1 tune then a a Power FC with a Stage 1 tune should be ok.
Anything above would really need a proper MAP.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Tune may be fine, tune may need tweaking (ie. not full retune)
Get it on a dyno, or get someone to check AFRs on the road to be sure.

·
Registered
50 Posts
should always check it? dyno is the way forward dude ;) and ensure the base static timing is ok as this will affect the timing map if its +/- 2 or 3 degrees even, you could even loose power or be too advance and knock.. .. always best to save yourself hassle and get someone to check it atleast, but on the dyno you can hold it under load in different gears at different RPM points and check tractive effort vs afr etc etc? listen carefully for knock, check fuelling etc etc, all in a controlled safe calm manor - which you cant do on the road properly ;)

·
Registered
386 Posts
I have a Mines ECU which is obviously not the best option which is why i was recommended by the import company to retard the ignition.
I've never caned it because of this and this also causes my mpg to be awful.
I'm now after steel turbos but they wont be fitted till i have a Power FC and a mapping appointment.
Given that reputable companies sell generic chips for set mods i do think it's slightly misleading to say that for stage 1 a mapping session is the only option.
Obviously a map is the way to go but for stage 1 i think as long as you are sensible then a UK generic tune would be an ok compromise.
I wonder how many of us on here are running an unmapped ECU with mods? :flame:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts