GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at buying one for my R33 GTR, and had a question about the kit, hoping that someone here will have a difinitive answer :)

To my knowledge the kit comes with some wiring adaptor for AFM's is this for the 300ZX ones? At the moment i am running the standard airbox and want to get an apexi system in, Though at this stage the 300zx AFM's are very expensive (around US$350 for both, though i am in australia) so i didn't want to go that far as yet, though i wanted the possibility to do it later on.

Will the super suction kit allow me to use the standard GTR AFM's for the moment and then in a few months go to the 300ZX ones? or are all the piping in the kit/ Filters made to suite the bigger diametre of the 80mm AFM's

Also can anyone remember what the contents of the kit are? as i will be buying one "as new" and want to verify that it is all there!
Thanks and appreciate any light you may be able to shed on it!

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
The kit includes all you need for fitting. If I recall the piping that bolts on to the AFMs is 80mm type. Provided that the 300ZX AFMs are the same size you have no problem.

I'm currently using HKS SPF filters and piping, but I'm contemplating on changing to Apexi filters and carbon air box. The HKS filters are very nice to look at, bu they have been getting annoying on long journeys and plus their filtering capabilities are not as great as a paper cone type items.
If anyone has changed from HKS to Apexi I'll be interested to know what you think....

:)

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
HKS Filters

What do you mean, "annoying on long journeys?"

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
So are there any quieter ones out there? I was thinking of getting an induction kit but if it is noisy on the motorway then I will think again as that's where I do most of my driving.

P

·
0 Posts
fitting my apexi super suction kit tomorrow, will let you know how it goes re. noise.

oh and to answer the top question, everything is made to suit the 80mm afms. piping/gaskets/etc

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Very nice, how much was it and where from?

·
Registered
720 Posts
Hi Peter,

it come's with the 80mm - Z32 AFM's. It also comes supplied with wiring connectors, as the Z32 AFM uses a different plug to the standard GTR AFM.

Matt - you can get them through Takakaira, or just about anyone (SVS etc) if you ask them to order it for you.

Jason.

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
jrpidgeon said:
it come's with the 80mm - Z32 AFM's. It also comes supplied with wiring connectors, as the Z32 AFM uses a different plug to the standard GTR AFM
Thanks Jason. There's strange as I enquired of TK (I wouldn't have used them again but...) about this kit and was told that it didn't come with the afms and I would need to buy them separately but they couldn't supply them but their office in France possibly could...? I also tried Chequerflag and they said the same.

It's a great kit then and should see some good gains with good filtering. Where did you get it from and how much did it cost of that's not being too nosey?

Cheers.

Peter.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Your maybe correct Peter, I bought the kit through a freind living in Japan - even know its unused its not bran new. Could be that the previous owner added the AFM'S then decided to sell it?. Nice kit though well recommended.

Jason.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Im running the APexi kit on my car.

It is VERY noisy!

I dont drive the car for anything more than leisure, but this weekend Ive taken it up north (over 250 miles) and it can get a bit annoying.
The answer is to turn the stereo up a bit - works a treat :D

One of my freinds has commented that on liftoff it sounds like a submarine sonar beeps (if you know what I mean).

My 2p.

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
I had a look at the kit for the R34 yesterday, and decided I'll stick to my HKS. Not very estheticlly pleasing the old Apexi:(
I'll do what I had originally planned, and that is a custom carbon air box to cover the SPFs...that should keep them clean and cool...and hopefully a bit quiter!;)

·
Registered
248 Posts
Thought that the Apexis were the best filtration to flow rate and a
Apexi make a carbon airbox for it.

??

SJD

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
Yes but as I said I dont like the look of the piping for the Apexi, plus the carbon box is totally overpriced! I can get a custom one made in Italy for a third of the price!

:)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts