GTR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
High Guys i have just had a look at my newly acquired nissan skyline GT-R 34.
Considering there were some high performance mods the most worrying is the Oil catch can ? Right i know this is supposed to catch excessive blow back oil from the rocker cover but on my catch can i have a breather that seems to blow a whole lot of oil out ? Any ideas why its round and has four threaded screw holes but isnt this device supposed to catch fumes and keep the oil in the can not blow it out all over the show inside the engine Bay ? ive check for any excessive build up inside of oil to cause a over flow but its Empty ?
Please help guys this is irritating me and i need to deal with it hope you can help ?

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
How big are the breather filters and where do the lines that go to the catch tank come from?

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
The ARC tank is designed to blow the gasses out of the small holes.....it just so happens that if your engine is breathing heavily like yours it will also through out some oil under high revs.

To be honest its nothing to panic about......unless your having to top the oil up frequently which does not sound like the case here.

Some catch tanks blow excess out of another pipe which runs to atmosphere under the car........but the ARC one just uses the holes up top.........not the best design but its the best looking tank IMO.

·
Banned
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks ill try explain

The Arc catch can now that i have tried to service it has been made very well fabrication is excellent with all the welds being perfect.
Now on to the Design two holes down the side plumb into a Clear plastic pipe that could be used to monitor the Oil level in the catch can? But my plastic is gone from clear to black now.
Any ways at the top you have the breather which is circular and has four thread holes in sides at 90 degree intervals and serves as a breather and at the top corner of the tank you have a intake pipe where the fumes come from?
Now the breather just sits at the top very bad design it breathes straight 0out into the atmosphere and hence when driving the car hard she tends to spill some oil out.
My question is there anybody out there thats seen one and knows any good modifications for this catch can surely some form of rubber foam inside the exit of the breather should trap that oil wanting to blow out ?
Please let me know guys thanks .

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I have the same catch tank as you and have modified it by attaching a rubber hose to where the breather exits it and i have run this to the underneath of the car to save the engine bay getting soaked in oil!!

Just make sure you dont run it to empty near a road wheel!

·
Banned
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Found the Problem Needed a minor Service and clean

Hi guys just to let you know that i gave the whole catch can a good flush with engine cleaner and some water running it through all the inlets and outlets seems there was a blocked pipe or something i even cleaned the oil level clear pipe on the side of the catch can and it was clogged up with thick oil and took her for a hard drive did some through mileage and she seems clean as a whistle so clean out your catch cans and they will perform they way they are meant and breath clean like they are supposed too.

Thanks and cheers once again

1 - 7 of 7 Posts