GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi , ive had my 59 plate car since new,done less than 11,000 miles,serviced as per schedule six monthly.Got my 54,000 mile srevice booked in this week.My car isnt tracked or driven hard and to date have had no issues.So my questions are, does my gearbox need any mods to protect it in the future? What percentage of early cars have problems and how many owners are having the Mods carried out?Would there be any indications that there could be a problem developing?What Mods are advised?Thanks Dave

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Witb the sort of use you describe mate I wouldn't of thought so fella. Might be worth having the solenoids cleaned mind as there's always a small amount of trans oil left in the pan when changing it and sh't builds up on the solenoids. IIRC it's about £300 all in.

Now get out and use her more :chuckle:

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Witb the sort of use you describe mate I wouldn't of thought so fella. Might be worth having the solenoids cleaned mind as there's always a small amount of trans oil left in the pan when changing it and sh't builds up on the solenoids. IIRC it's about £300 all in.

Now get out and use her more :chuckle:
As saucy said mate,, if all is good leave well alone,
If you haven't had the gearbox soft wear up date, that's something to think about,

Goldie

·
Premium Member
824 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Hi , ive had my 59 plate car since new,done less than 11,000 miles,serviced as per schedule six monthly.Got my 54,000 mile srevice booked in this week.My car isnt tracked or driven hard and to date have had no issues.So my questions are, does my gearbox need any mods to protect it in the future? What percentage of early cars have problems and how many owners are having the Mods carried out?Would there be any indications that there could be a problem developing?What Mods are advised?Thanks Dave
Don't agree with other. You should have the solenoid pack cleaned, gearbox sump pan cleaned and Dodson magnets fitted to prevent wear / build up on them. Shift caps fitted as standard on the MY11 onward for a good reason.

It prevents wear and future possible issues. Had mine done at the 54 month service with only 19K miles on and there was signs of wear which is now saved.

Another guy in the same day had the same done with 22K miles and his was well worn!

Do it now, it cost very little extra as the oil is being replaced anyway.

If I had known I would have had mine done at the first service Litchfields did but I think this issue is only now becoming common knowledge.

JMHO.

Satan

·
Registered
522 Posts
Totally agree with satan. My car had very,very light use but at 20k miles i had the solenoid pack removed,cleaned and had the piston clips and uprated magnets fitted as it was developing a slight selection problem. There was quite a build up of debris on the solenoids and this will happen to all cars during the first 20k miles or so regardless of how its driven.

Worth getting done at your next tranny fluid service,only a few hundred quid more and should prevent issues developing in the future which would mean dumping the oil again before its due.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Satans got it spot on, get stuff done, for the smaller money it costs compared to a major issue happening you will be overcome with relief.

You may never ever have a problem, but the fact your even asking is saying something is worrying you, so the peace of mind alone will be worth it if anything.

I have had a gearbox replacement due to transmission faliure, so only speak from experience, but I was super unlucky indeed.

·
Registered
67 Posts
If its not broken, don't fix it. I think you are good

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for your thoughts guys,seems most of you recommend spending a few hundred quid now whilst the trans fluid is being changed anyway ! Reason i asked is because Sly mentioned it at my previous service.The reason i only do low mileage is because the R35 is my 3rd toy and its difficult to choose which to drive on a nice day!Lucky me !!!

·
Registered
413 Posts
Don't agree with other. You should have the solenoid pack cleaned, gearbox sump pan cleaned and Dodson magnets fitted to prevent wear / build up on them. Shift caps fitted as standard on the MY11 onward for a good reason.

It prevents wear and future possible issues. Had mine done at the 54 month service with only 19K miles on and there was signs of wear which is now saved.

Another guy in the same day had the same done with 22K miles and his was well worn!

Do it now, it cost very little extra as the oil is being replaced anyway.

If I had known I would have had mine done at the first service Litchfields did but I think this issue is only now becoming common knowledge.

JMHO.

Satan
Do Litchfield's ever suggest this maintenance when changing the gearbox oil? I've just had the 54 month service including the gearbox oil change and I would have gone for this lot if they had said it was a good idea to do it, but there was no mention. Hey ho, will probably just wait for the next one.

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
Do Litchfield's ever suggest this maintenance when changing the gearbox oil? I've just had the 54 month service including the gearbox oil change and I would have gone for this lot if they had said it was a good idea to do it, but there was no mention. Hey ho, will probably just wait for the next one.
they did when I was there the other month (not for my car but someone who rang in)

·
Registered
101 Posts
I did the gearbox software update from litchfields on my 2010gtr and it made a big difference to the drive. Highly recommended. ***128077;

·
Registered
924 Posts
I read on here about some of the issues people had had with gearboxes and the causes.

Very often it appeared that gear selection issues had been attributed to the solenoid pack becoming confused as to its position, due to swarf building up on the shift magnets, resulting in not being able to select 1,3 or 5 or worse bending selector forks.

With Nissan modifying later cars and fitting these parts it seemed prudent to add the later modification. Having spoken to Litchfield before the service they did admit that the earlier the caps were fitted the less damage would be done to the slides and told me they were going to start suggesting it.

Litchfield aren't pushy but I think they should point out the possible chance of future failure if not done.

For a 48 and 54 month service combined (garage Queen for the Winter 6 months) including Castrol SRF for the brakes, Dodson magnets and shift caps, sump off and clean, replacement gasket came to about £1K.

Not that much above the service cost and one potential reliability issue fixed for good.

I would fully recommend all owners of pre MY11 cars to get it fixed BEFORE it breaks.

JMHO of course.

Satan

1 - 20 of 26 Posts