GTR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I am looking at my first GTR but with high mileage - am I wrong to worry that it might need a gearbox at some point? The engine is new so no worries there... What does a gearbox overhaul / new one cost??? Just thinking worst case scenario as I can't spend much (After buying it) for six months as she wants a house anytime soon so money is tight till feb... The car has done 80k but was pulling 720Bhp for a while...

Am I being overcautious?

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
All depends how its been treated/abused in Japan.. i dont mean by getting a good thrashing, after all, why would any of us buy a GTR to do 30 mph everywhere..

What i mean is, warmed up, warmed down properly, regular servicing, oil change etc

When i bought my R32 it had done 68k miles, but was un-modded and slow as **** (compared to my previous Impreza Sti which was tuned a little).. this was a good sign for me :)

Unabused...

80k but has been 'pulling 720 bhp for a while' rings bells to be honest

Why is the seller selling such a powerful car?

And as you mention its had a new engine, but who built it? Do some homework..is it going to last? Big BHP also takes its toll on running gear

Is anything else about to cry 'enough'?

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
As Leggus saidm it's all about how well the car has been treated/maintained. GTR's are pretty robust, but like anything things can (and do) go wrong when the miles get piled on.

Look for a car that has a complete service history with evidence of regular oil changes/ services and so forth...

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is a true beauty - History since 93 when one of the forum owned it through GT Art rebuild (and maintenance) and ownership to a guy who loved it... There's no question of the care it has had - just the mileage... sounds like the one to me to be honest...

·
Registered
430 Posts
My car has crunched going into 4th and 5th when moving along, since I've had it (2 years). It hasn't really got any worse in that time. If you don't rush the gear change, it's fine. My tuner has told me that most of them do it.

I'm sure if it's treated with a bit of mechanical sympathy it will last a long time yet.

AFAIK it's a 1500 quid job to sort it unless the box has been refurbed recently as alot of the original parts have been upgraded and are no longer available. It's over 800 quid in parts alone.

·
Premium Member
1,601 Posts
Apart from everyone's excellent advise, look at the article from Jap performance on buyers guide and modifying guide - they'll help cover all the basics - they're free to GTROC members!!

Sorry, can't remember when they were printed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts