GTR Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys. Just after abit of advice really. I have an R33 GTR and as far as I know it has all standard internals. When I brought the car I was told it had steel internal upgrades on the standard turbos but last week I dropped the downpipe of and got my borascope in there and this is not true, still has the dreaded ceramics :chairshot: . The reason being I'm going to be having it mapped as soon as I have decided what to do with the turbos. It's got a power fc on it but don't no who mapped it but I'm not that happy with it. Sometimes it feels boggy when coming back onto boost, so I would rather have it checked/tuned to make sure it's running as good as it can and smooth as it can and it's not trying to punch holes in my standard chocolate pistons. So my question is, is it worth me putting a set of Hks 2510 on it? I don't want massive power but a nice 350-400whp would be nice and fairly responsive. Are the 2510 a direct bolt on with only little things as oil restrictions and oil returns? Or is there more to it than this? What other supporting mods will I need for this power? Does fuel need upgrading? Will it be ok on standard internals? Thanks for your help in advance much appreciated.

Sorry last thing, what is the garret equivalent of the 2510's? Is it the -7? -9?

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Hi

Problem is that what you are told is not always the case when buying the car and it is hard to check internals with out a borascope.

HKS2510 are suppose to be rated for around 580bhp, but they are pretty old turbos, so finding a new or very good pair would be harder. They are pretty much the same as the 2530 on the compressor side, but turbine trim, 62T vs 76T of the 2530's so would imagine them to make boost earlier but lack a bit on top end.

On a standard engine something responsive like a -7 or a -9 and around 500bhp should be fine, they are drop in turbos and you would need a 0.8mm restrictor bolt, also need to get bigger injectors and the ECU remapped by someone who knows what they are doing.

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
If it has a power Fc then i presume the induction and exhaust are aftermaket. .

Maybe some 34GTR turbos would be a drop in alternative with the extra boost you can run you shuld see around your target

or as said before -7s will work

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes sorry didn't mention mods. Apexi fc, full hks superdrager exhaust and downpipe, apexi induction, nismo intercooler, new drift works rad and a OS giken triple plate clutch. And an aftermarket Fuel pressure reg but unsure of make.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Don't bother with 34 turbos unless someone has gone to the expense for you in replacing the ceramic wheels with steel ones as these safely will only run 1.1-1.15 bar

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Don't bother with 34 turbos unless someone has gone to the expense for you in replacing the ceramic wheels with steel ones as these safely will only run 1.1-1.15 bar
Mine were running 1.2 bar for a long time, and after inspection they are still in very good condition. I don't think you can get the metal conversion for 34 turbos, as they are ball bearing

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
You can as I got a quote from I think CR turbos and it was around £600 for both as long as the bearings were ok which mine weren't so it was more economical to buy -7 or -5 but I had issues with over boosting at high rpm due to the small wastegate

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
You can as I got a quote from I think CR turbos and it was around £600 for both as long as the bearings were ok which mine weren't so it was more economical to buy -7 or -5 but I had issues with over boosting at high rpm due to the small wastegate
I thought that they are not able to do them and have to replace the whole core?

I agree though better to buy -5's

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
According to them they can be as long as it's just the turbine shaft and wheel your replacing but at that cost you have no idea how long the bearings will last so it's not worth it in the end I rebuilt my oem 33 ones for steel wheels with balancing under £300 and they're bang on granted they don't spool quite as quick as the 34 but they're a damn site cheaper

·
Registered
159 Posts
hi sorry to butt in wonder if u can help
what kind of power can i get from r33 gtr turbos Steel shaft with Internels as im thinking of getting a pair for my r33 gtr and will i need to upgrad injectors and fuel pump
thanks

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hi sorry to butt in wonder if u can help
what kind of power can i get from r33 gtr turbos Steel shaft with Internels as im thinking of getting a pair for my r33 gtr and will i need to upgrad injectors and fuel pump
thanks
Hi mate. I have just finished the same upgrades if you look at my project thread will go into abit more detail. I managed to get 370 wheel hp at 1.1 bar of boost on steel tubs. U could go as far as 1.4 bar but exhaust temps are creeping up at that sort of boost and standard tubs are maxed out. If you go for steel tubs u will need to replace head gasket and inlet gaskets with all multi layered steel ones before going over 1 bar of boost as stardard ones can't handle any more and there no point going steel tubs unless ur going for over a bar IMHO. U will not need to upgrade pump or injectors at that sort of power so keeps the costs down and with that set up really nice and resposive and hopefully reliable. If u need any more help drop me a pm or I'm sure Daz will be happy to answer son questions as well. My upgrades are exhaust (standard elbows), Inlet, split fire coils, upgraded plugs, steel tubs, multi layered head gasket and inlets, power fc, intercooler, alloy rad. Hope this helps matt

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Can't see how mapping can change it? Ur doubling cylinder pressures from standard 0.7 to 1.4 so ur better changing it before u blow it and risk overheat or warping head. That's just my opion but can see were ur coming from mate. Depends on engine really don't it. Just ur half way there once the tubs are of and I lets to change gaskets

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Detonation increases cylinder pressures massively. Standard head gasket can survive when the piston doesn't sometimes.

Boost pressure is measured at say the plenum. It doesn't mean when combustion occurs you have doubled cylinder pressures.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Fair enuff I agree with that but when u have the Inlet and exhaust of would it not make sence to replace?

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Probably, although don't think the standard Nissan metal head gasket is that weak.

Paper gaskets on the intake side are a bit rubbish though!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts