GTR Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Yes. I took some splitfire coils from my mates R32 GT-R and they are now on my R33 GT-R with some REALLY good results... there will be more about that tomorrow :cool:

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Splitfires are a waste of time. Don't buy into the pretty blue coils. I have had more misfires with them than without them. The few sets I had on different cars over the years, I sold them off to people . Although I might still have a set or two laying around.

Just good stock coils, and good stock harnesses. Replace them fairly often. The harnesses and coils get cooked in the valley.

R32 and R33 GT-R coils are the same. R34 coils are different as they have the ignitor built into the coil.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Splitfires are a waste of time. QUOTE]

A lot of people here have found great results with them.

Cheers

Guy.
And they would have had the same or better results with new stock coils.

The coils, connectors, and wiring harness cook in the valley of the engine. The springs and carbons in some coils, fall out when the spark plugs are being changed.

The blue pretty coils make people feel better about buying the splitfires, but thats all they are buying, blue pretty coils.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
From memory just under £500 about a year ago.

EDIT.. should I take these splitfires off and get standard ones, I only bought the splitfires as they were half the price?

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
We have never had any complaints from anyone who has bought them.

Perhaps price is what makes the Splitfires a popular choice.

Cheers

Guy

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
We have never had any complaints from anyone who has bought them.Perhaps price is what makes the Splitfires a popular choice.
Yes, always the cheapest parts are the right ones for me......

Most people, you could probably sell them the Splitfires, leave the stock coils in there, and they would tell you how much better they were, even with the same stock coils still in the car.

I am not trying to sell anything , rather let people know that the Splitfires are nothing more than pretty blue coils. My experience, on a real car, at real boost was misfires at high rpms. Switched back to stock coils, on the same dyno day, and they went away. I have some other friends in New Zealand with the same experience. Mr T from Nissan, when I asked him, said stock was best. I'll stick with stock.

One misfire on a 600 hp car is like turning it into a 500 hp car...

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Interesting stuff. We find most of the Splitfires purchased from us are because the standard coils are beginning to cause issues, missfire etc.

Cheers

Guy

·
Registered
241 Posts
816whp @ 36psi of boost with Splitfire.;)
I replace my old factory nissan coils that produce a lot of missfire over 22psi of boost but never test a brand new nissan coils.....

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I bought them for my gtst and they made a world of diference, I know what your saying standard new ones might of done the same job but if they work the same and the splitfires are cheaper I will go for them everytime. Plus these ones for the gtr are hardly used and are only £100 so def a good idea me thinks
thanks for the replys people

1 - 17 of 17 Posts