GTR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok this might seem like a loaded/sensitive question, but I don't have too much experience with Japanese culture, especially with business transactions.

In a nutshell, if a shop in Japan is saying an R32 RB26DETT engine has 50K original km on it, can I believe them?

I live in Korea, am Korean-American, and know enough that if a guy claimed the same thing here in Korea, I'd automatically triple the mileage to get a ballpark figure of what the engine (or car) really has on it. Either that or laugh my ass off. Used imported cars have their odos clocked as a matter of course over here - unless the guy is family or a good friend or someone you've done business with for a long time, it's hard to trust anyone here. The only reason I know the true odo reading on my car is because I saw it right when it came into the country, and I have enough of a relationship with my importer that he probably wouldn't pull a fast one on me (although I've seen his other cars have as much as 100K km subtracted from the odo before going on sale).

I know every country has their conmen and shady businessmen. But as the thing is coming over, especially at the good price it went for, I can't help but to wonder, can I trust what they said about the engine? Are the Japanese straight shooters?

·
Registered
505 Posts
you get "bad eggs" anywhere in the world mate.

imo only spend your cash if your 100% sure about the seller

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
160sr said:
you get "bad eggs" anywhere in the world mate.
that's definitely true, and it's a hard question to ask because it requires stereotyping of an entire culture, which isn't all that politically correct. But certainly some people here have had plenty of experience dealing with Japanese people to get a general sense of what it's like over there.

If I were to say anything about America, my home country, well, I wouldn't necessarily say that Americans wouldn't screw you over out of some kind of pervasive kindness in our country, but because Americans tend to be sticklers about the law. You'd have to search long and hard, for example, to get someone to pull your cat and put in a test pipe (illegal in the US), but any garage would do it in Korea (where it is also illegal), so long as you've got cash in hand to pay for the labor.

·
6,821 Posts
Japanese buiness is hard, with no mercy . . . yeah the milage can by faked tought, but if a japanese company fools the customers, it will go down very quick . . . . other then in europe, the japanese costumers will tell every body about the bad company, so that it will loose many costumers.

You allready had a milk box with some plastic piece inside? Can happen in the production. In europe if you request money back, they will send you maybe a letter and you can exchange the milk in your supermarket . . . in japan the public relation manager of your region comes to your house , says sorry , and gives you 20 bottles of milk, t-shirts for your child and a watch for paps.

If the company your seeking has a reputation, they not want to loose it because of millage hiding . . . . neverless especially the automobile branche has anyway , everywhere black sheeps . . .:rolleyes:

·
Registered
234 Posts
I trusted someone in Japan and was very happy with it; it really depends on the product and the circumstances in my opinion. In my case I was very happy to have received the item I bought in 100% form...

But you never know.... besides to some extent wouldn’t be easier to build your engine where you are and for the same price? That way you know what you have…

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Really tough to say overall, but after living there for 3 years I would tend to trust them...take that for what it's worth...:sadwavey:

·
Registered
159 Posts
From what I understand about the Japanese, honour is very important to them, it is part of the ethos they live by and goes back to the Samurai. But like everywhere else there are good and bad. I would in general trust them.

MidNite:cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts