GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Vendor
12,594 Posts
You need a slack £20000 or so to own one;)

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You need a slack £20000 or so to own one;)
I suppose nothing desirable is ever cheap!!

Do you see many of these or similar (there was whole thread of them someone took from a Japanese event a little while back) at gtroc events?

·
Registered
853 Posts
Wow. What is the model name?
The car in your photo is a 'KGC10' Skyline GT or GT-X model that is pretending to be a 'KPGC10' Skyline GT-R.

There are just three C10-series Skylines in the UK at this point: One 'GC10' Skyline GT ( 4-door ), one 'KGC10' Skyline GT 2-door Hard Top ( not roadworthy ), and one 'KPGC10' Skyline GT-R which is prepped as a period race car.

If you search for the terms 'KPGC10' and 'Hakosuka' ( literally 'Box-Sky[line]' ) you will find that these models have been discussed on this forum several times in the past.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The car in your photo is a 'KGC10' Skyline GT or GT-X model that is pretending to be a 'KPGC10' Skyline GT-R.

There are just three C10-series Skylines in the UK at this point: One 'GC10' Skyline GT ( 4-door ), one 'KGC10' Skyline GT 2-door Hard Top ( not roadworthy ), and one 'KPGC10' Skyline GT-R which is prepped as a period race car.

If you search for the terms 'KPGC10' and 'Hakosuka' ( literally 'Box-Sky[line]' ) you will find that these models have been discussed on this forum several times in the past.
Thank you.

I invested about an hour of time this morning reading up on exactly what you posted. Lots of threads, some very technical and detailed. Over my head mostly!

I can see you know your onions on the topic! :D

And having seen the prices of good ones at £65k or thereabouts i can understand why there are only 3 in the UK

I guess i'll stick to my hyundai coupe ;)

Thanks for you help though :D

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
I think there's one for sale in Germany at the moment...

·
Registered
1,100 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,732 Posts
Except the horrible oil cooler glued to the front I agree!

·
Registered
853 Posts
If it's a real GTR then it's expensive, most of them are fake though.
You might want to re-phrase that. A proper fake is of course something that is being passed of as the real thing in a deliberate effort to defraud. In the case of C10 and C110-series GTRs, fakes do exist, and of course nobody would want to be on the receiving end of such deception. I would say that these - by their very nature - are relatively rare in Japan. There's usually something that the faker has forgotten, too....

'Replicas' and 'lookalikes' on the other hand are far more common, and are not intended to defraud. In most cases - like the black car in the first post - these are simply cosmetic ( GT-R emblems, grilles, trim pieces and overfenders etc ) and anybody who knows anything about real C10 and C110 GT-Rs would be able to spot one without even needing to open the bonnet. There are literally thousands of differences between a GT or GT-X and a GT-R, but the biggest - of course - is the S20 engine. This is the heart of a GT-R ( or a 432 / 432R ) and 99.999% of lookalikes won't have one - nor will the owner usually feel that it is necessary to have one.

The general concensus is that these lookalikes, or 'GT-R Shiyo' cars can wear GT-R emblems without needing to feel sheepish about it. Try putting GT-R emblems on an R32 GTS an R33 GTS-T on the other hand and you are very likely to get laughed at.....

·
Registered
853 Posts
Except the horrible oil cooler glued to the front I agree!
I think you'll find it's bolted on, rather than "glued".

That car is of course copying the location of the oil coolers on the works PGC10 and KPGC10 race cars. Do you know why they located them in that way?

·
Super Moderator
15,732 Posts
I think you'll find it's bolted on, rather than "glued".

That car is of course copying the location of the oil coolers on the works PGC10 and KPGC10 race cars. Do you know why they located them in that way?
LOL I know they weren't really glued, it was a comment as to how it looks rather than the structural integrity.:D I assume it was for superior cooling, but either way still don't like it!

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Wasn't there a Nissan presented KPGC10 at the Goodwood Festival this year? Is the UK KPGC10 used as an historic race car?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts