GTR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i put some similar ones on my car a while ago but im always paranoid that they might break if im cornering fast, its just the adjustment thread is only fine like a bmx headset type thing (the big nut under the handlebar stem) and the clamps that lock over the threads are only alloy (i think) obviously i was never worried about the original ones because they are a good chunk of metal, is there much stress on this part of the suspension or am i getting worried for nothing ? (i bought them off ebay for £120) even fast motorway driving all i can think about is that crappy thread and clamp breaking or coming loose and me going head over tit into a field.
any thoughts on these ?

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
If they're these particular ones they're made by Midori, a respected tuner, so i wouldn't worry. (Scotty, tarmac terror has them think hes well pleased with them).
I had similar ones made from much shinier materials and looked allot cheaper, they didnt last long and worked loose, (but to be fair never broke up!) and went really rusty in 6 months, dumped them for fixed but shorter camber arms as I too didnt want to take the risk!
:)
bob

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i dont think mine are as good as the ones in the picture (i just found the pic on here to give an idea of the type of link) i think i might have got the cheapest ones ever made lol, although they are still quite heavy.
if they were to break what would happen to the wheel ? will it fold under the car or just go up into the arch ? more to the point, am i gonna die if it breaks ?

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
I would have thought the wheel would go upwards into the wheel arch, (depends how fast your going as to whether you'll die!) :chuckle:
Im sure they wouldnt fail that badly to be honest but if youre worried just get some aftermarket fixed ones. I used my cheap ones to work out the correct camber and then got fixed ones the same size to replace them. (as soon as I could).
:)
bob

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i think il take your advice lol, i think i might just go nismo as i could do with raising my front suspension anyway as ive just put a tbo bumper on and its only 8cm off the road which isnt going to be good with all the speedbumps.
thank you for your help though, it was very much appreciated.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
No problems buddy, but just one thing, these wont raise you car up thats down to the dampers. As you know these just adjust the camber, (angle to the verticle) of the wheels. You may need to also look at your shocks and raise them up if theyre coilovers.
Hope this helps buddy.
;)
bob

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes mate i have tein adjustables, so i can hopefully raise them to match some nismo arms (to get the camber right)

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,199 Posts
i put some similar ones on my car a while ago but im always paranoid that they might break if im cornering fast, its just the adjustment thread is only fine like a bmx headset type thing (the big nut under the handlebar stem) and the clamps that lock over the threads are only alloy (i think) obviously i was never worried about the original ones because they are a good chunk of metal, is there much stress on this part of the suspension or am i getting worried for nothing ? (i bought them off ebay for £120) even fast motorway driving all i can think about is that crappy thread and clamp breaking or coming loose and me going head over tit into a field.
any thoughts on these ?

Have had something similar on my car for 18 months. Need some loctite (sp?) on the threads after about 12 months but otherwise fine.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks , il stick some loctite on for now until i get some solid ones, i checked them the other day and everything was tight still, lol probably cos its never been out of the garage in 2 years everythings rusted solid.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Just keep an eye on them and im sure you'll be fine!!!
;)
BOB

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
I wouldn't touch the ebay versions.
There is no control over weld penetration, materials, etc etc......

Buy at your own risk

·
Registered
519 Posts
Ian,

Would agree on the ebay stuff, but in all honestly I doubt any after market company tests the welds for pentration on all their parts. Although I would always go with a known brand as they probably wont be made by fred in a shed with 30 year old welding kit lol

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
i have had some apex ones fitted for the last 2 years or so no problems to report as of yet ...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts