·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Wouldnt trust thématique TNT mate.

If you want great dps at a decent price contact russ fellows

·
Premium Member
5,868 Posts
I'd recommend getting them from ACspeedtech : Power and chassis performance solutions , they have handmade top grade pipes by Russ Fellows, which are guaranteed for the buyer from now... and are perfect fitment.. just search the forum for Russ's work.. nuff said!

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Stupid question maybe, but does it really matter?? We're talking about a couple of short bits of 3" piping?? Does it make that much difference, or is it just scaremongering and marketing doing it's work?

There's no logical reason why a pair of downpipes should cost so much? I can't imagine there's any noticeable difference in performance?

·
Premium Member
5,868 Posts
Stupid question maybe, but does it really matter?? We're talking about a couple of short bits of 3" piping?? Does it make that much difference, or is it just scaremongering and marketing doing it's work?

There's no logical reason why a pair of downpipes should cost so much? I can't imagine there's any noticeable difference in performance?
performance no ....UNTIL you notice, ,poor fitment, cracking, broken welds = buying a 2nd time, and paying for fitment a 2nd time

buy cheap, buy twice.. I'm also told badly fitting downpipes will cause map issues as well

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All the pipes I've seen are made from 304 Stainless steel. Even the cheapest chinese made ones are TIG welded, normally pretty nicely. I wonder how many actually fail??

·
Registered
227 Posts

its to do with quality mainly,

cheaper exhaust parts are usually manufactured in a developing country with non standard materials (grades of stainless steel are a classic example) and questionable quality control. So whilst you may be paying for 1.4307 (SAE 304), the materials tend not to be to that standard and could contain any number of things.

So some parts may fit and last and others may not, all of the same line with the same process. The contruction and welding may look okay but things like porosity, sugaring on the back face, contamination, throat consistancy etc could be hidden from all but the most determined inspection.

Also, if they fit now it doesnt mean they wont break further down the line. They are also usually either the same thickness or thinner (this coupled with the less than birlliant materials) which makes them weaker (due to the off materials) and less corrosion resitant etc.

You also tend to find cheaper auxilliary parts, like gaskets which are sub standard, bolts which are not graded (so could be made of anything) and flanges that are not flat.

Im not saying this is the case with this example, as im not familiar with top gear etc just generic ebay parts vs quality parts :) and obviously the above is a worse case scenario from parts i have experianced over the years.

I'm also not familiar with the R35 mechanicallly but most downpipes, even under the best of circumstances are subjected to high heat and vibration (like a manifold but less so) and as such will exploit any weakness in the part leading to failure.

·
Premium Member
5,868 Posts
its to do with quality mainly,

cheaper exhaust parts are usually manufactured in a developing country with non standard materials (grades of stainless steel are a classic example) and questionable quality control. So whilst you may be paying for 1.4307 (SAE 304), the materials tend not to be to that standard and could contain any number of things.

So some parts may fit and last and others may not, all of the same line with the same process. The contruction and welding may look okay but things like porosity, sugaring on the back face and contamination could be hidden from all but the most determined inspection.

Also, if they fit now it doesnt mean they wont break further down the line. They are also usually either the same thickness or thinner (this coupled with the less than birlliant materials) which makes them weaker (due to the off materials) and less corrosion resitant etc.

You also tend to find cheaper auxilliary parts, like gaskets which are sub standard, bolts which are not graded (so could be made of anything) and flanges that are not flat.

Im not saying this is the case with this example, as im not familiar with top gear etc just generic ebay parts vs quality parts :) and obviously the above is a worse case scenario from parts i have experianced over the years.

I'm also not familiar with the R35 mechanicallly but most downpipes, even under the best of circumstances are subjected to high heat and vibration (like a manifold but less so) and as such will exploit any weakness in the part leading to failure.
+1 Ive had the same when buying a cheaper turbo elbow on my old evo, after 2-3 weeks the welds cracked, and the bottom flange snapped off, ended up blowing... so had to buy a much better grade one, which did the business there-after

·
Premium Member
8,090 Posts
The metal your right but it can come down to the quality of it and the welds and if they can develop cracks further down the line? That could be the point people are trying to make?

For example, the cheaper turbo elbows/downpipes for R32/33/33's can develop cracks and require welding or replacement, then again I guess no matter what make you may come across these issues

·
Registered
227 Posts
then again I guess no matter what make you may come across these issues
this, i have seen very high quality parts fail due to other sections of the system being negelected or not maintained correctly.

Its then always the part that fails thats to blame rather than supporting systems.

That being said, from my experiance, cheap exhaust parts fail because they are usually bad quality :)

·
Premium Member
3,353 Posts
Wouldnt trust thématique TNT mate.

If you want great dps at a decent price contact russ fellows
Another vote from me for Russ Fellows downpipes. They sound awesome, they are a good fit, according to Iain Litchfield's team who put mine on, and they are very well made according to our race team fabricator who is an ex F1 team fabricator/ welder.

·
Premium Member
5,868 Posts
Another vote from me for Russ Fellows downpipes. They sound awesome, they are a good fit, according to Iain Litchfield's team who put mine on, and they are very well made according to our race team fabricator who is an ex F1 team fabricator/ welder.
cant say better than that! ^^^ +2

·
Registered
585 Posts
If you want to avoid cracking of the DPs chose cast dp's they are best against cracking. GTC AMS etc.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Got the GTC ones on mine, I'm sure they cost £300 + VAT which is about same as first post.

Anders

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts