GTR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience of having their wheels being scratched from having the old weights removed, during tyre fitment ?

I had my tyres replaced a short while back and having only just washed the car, I've noticed that on each of the four wheels where the previous weights were removed, I've acquired some great big scratches. It looks like they were caused by a screwdriver removing the old weights - there are bits of the previous glue/sticky foam left with gauge marks through them, which has gone through the paint and scratched the alloy. It's very noticeable now the wheels have been cleaned.

I've not had this issue with any other vehicle and wondered if anyone else has suffered the same fate. I'm going to contact the supplier tomorrow, but grateful for anyone else's feedback.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
There is no need for a screw driver to be used on removal,
A heater gun to warm up the double sided tape and you could pull them off with your fingers or a plastic card pushed under Neath,
Sounds like some one with no respect removed them,

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is no need for a screw driver to be used on removal,
A heater gun to warm up the double sided tape and you could pull them off with your fingers or a plastic card pushed under Neath,
Sounds like some one with no respect removed them,
Thanks for replying so quickly, thats quite helpful to support my discussion with the supplier tomorrow. A heater gun sounds a better removal method than has been used on mine.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Thanks for replying so quickly, thats quite helpful to support my discussion with the supplier tomorrow. A heater gun sounds a better removal method than has been used on mine.
Because of the freezing weather the would be agro to get off, heater gun on the weight for a minute each, they would have nearly fell off,

·
Registered
248 Posts
Hi I didn't try a heat gun on mine the only thing I found that dissolved the glue residue was Hammerite brush cleaner and thinner it doesn't harm the paint I tried ordinary white spirit but it wouldn't touch it

·
Premium Member
2,205 Posts
warm em up first will help but if you do get residue left use a toffee wheel

it'll sort it in seconds and smells nice not rank like solvent will

·
Registered
248 Posts
Hi Paul I'll have to try that .btw thinking of popping by Tuesday if ok with my car for you to have a look what times a good time buddy.

·
Premium Member
2,205 Posts
Hi Paul I'll have to try that .btw thinking of popping by Tuesday if ok with my car for you to have a look what times a good time buddy.
no worries dave swing by anytime fella :squintdan

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Spoke to the tyre fitter regarding the scratches, who has kindly offered to rectify.

I offered the advice for using a heat gun in future ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts