GTR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Anybody had any experience of an Armytrix Valvetronic Exhaust System for the R35?
I'm currently running a stage 4:25 with Milltex 76mm Sports System with non res y-pipe.
Twice now I've be Black flagged at Spa and Silverstone for noise. Both times 106db on drive past.
Was looking at changing that system out but still retaining a good sound track.
Just wondered if a Armytrix Valvetronic System would be best of both worlds.
On and off track.
Many thanks...

·
Registered
18 Posts
I know they used to lose power when the valves are closed and it can cause engine damage.

There was a big thread involving the owner of a S5 a few years back.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I've read many threads about people "suspecting" valved systems cause damage, but never seen any proof. Any links the the thread?
Same type of valves system as a MY17 OEM exhaust?
If so, not a chance.

A manufacturer wouldn't fit it if that were the case.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've read many threads about people "suspecting" valved systems cause damage, but never seen any proof. Any links the the thread?

I believe after initially denying it they changed their small print. “Do not Rev above x with valves closed”.

The thread makes grim reading. I remember a few years back when they seemed to appear out of nowhere. Seemed to me like they were giving exhausts to those annoying youtube idiots to establish a reputation.

Akra are 1000% better and the cool thing about Japanese cars is that you have all the aftermarket Jap stuff too. Best cars to mod imo.

·
Registered
18 Posts
A £3k exhaust where the manufacturer states you should not rev over 4K with valves closed is reason to disregard imo.

Build quality compared to a akra is amateur.

·
Administrator
31,406 Posts
Surely the point is that the valves are closed at low speeds and open up as you accelarete. They’d only be closed at 4K if you’ve not set them up right.
how is any other system different?

·
Registered
18 Posts
It is, or was sold as a switchable system. On or off. Not to open up as you accelerate. Quiet mode and loud mode.

So to retrospectively, after someone chopped one open and discovered it was crap, bad welds, full of I’m not sure what, as well as potentially damaging engines by restricting exhaust gases. They put a disclaimer not to rev above 4K in quiet mode which is ridiculous. It defeats the object of what the OP wants. If the valves were closed on track he would be at least 120bhp down and not be able to rev above 4K.

·
Administrator
31,406 Posts
I imagine a lot has changed in the past 5 years, they've sold plenty of systems and there's little online so problems certainly aren't endemic.

Plus now the warranty says
To protect the integrity and functionality of the exhaust system, in OFF Mode when 4500 RPM is reached or when turbo pressure reaches 0.8 bar, the valves will automatically open as a safety precaution.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I don't know how a manufacturer like Armytrix can even do this, usually all valved exhausts have to open regardless at full throttle (usually above 3k RPM), the Nissan GT-R Titanium stock exhaust opens up above 3k and still does so after I upgraded for 4.25 and kept the stock back. My previous RS7 had a stock sports exhaust that also opened after approx 3k RPM and it also did after having a Milltek cat back fitted. You need maximum airflow when you put your foot down and it doesn't make any sense to keep the valves shut.

·
Registered
18 Posts
At least they’ve changed it.

They sound great on r8 v10. I would personally never consider one. They were cheap crap sold as a akra rival when they were released. Obviously their r&d must have been non existent. Probably copied another design.

I had never heard of them before a few you tubers put them on f80’s. Not the best sounding car to begin with, but the early amrytrix made it sound like it had a peco exhaust (for anyone old enough to remember them).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts