GTR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new set of the above and was looking at buying some forged rods without bolts. The supplier has told me forged rods have a different thread? He offered cheap ARP bolts with the rods or the same spec of bolt at twice the money. I assumed the threads would be the same as OEM?

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FCP Engineering NISSAN GT-R 3.8 V6 VR38DETT FCP STEEL H-BEAM CONNECTING RODS 165MM. I am at 700ps and "only" want to go to 800 ;-)
Ben Linney says my ARP bolts will fit his 300M rods. Odd that they are the "wrong thread" for the FCP ones?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Why buy untested rods when you can buy Manley turbo tuff for same money with bolts that AMS sell as part of their 1500hp build for probably the same money, I dont get it, the R&D has been done by many with failed engines to show for it yet still people think ill go a different route, madness, manley rods and pistons and it will handle whatever whatever you can throw at it. Instead iyts oh will this fit this and will this work with that.
FYI
ARP 8740 chrome moly “connecting rod” bolt:
Yield strength = 180,000 psi
Tensile strength = 200,000 psi
Cost = $120.00 per set of 16 at Summit Racing Equipment, or about $8.00 each.
---------
ARP 2000 “connecting rod” bolt:
Yield strength = 180,000 psi
Tensile strength = 220,000 psi
ARP 2000 rod bolt material has twice the fatigue life of 8740 chrome moly rod bolt material.
Cost = $200.00 per set of 16 at Summit Racing Equipment, or about $13.00 each.
---------
ARP L19 “connecting rod” bolt:
Yield strength = 200,000 psi
Tensile strength = 260,000 psi
ARP L19 rod bolt material is subject to hydrogen embrittlement, and stress corrosion. It also cannot be exposed to any moisture, including sweat and/or condensation.
Cost = $200.00 per set of 16 at Summit Racing Equipment, or about $13.00 each.
---------
ARP Custom Age 625+ “connecting rod” bolt:
Yield strength = 235,000 psi
ARP Custom Age 625+ rod bolt material has nearly 3 ½ times the fatigue life of the ARP 3.5 rod bolt material.
Cost = $600.00 per set of 16 at Summit Racing Equipment, or about $38.00 "EACH".
----------
ARP 3.5 “connecting rod” bolt:
Yield strength = 220,000 psi
Cost = $855.00 per set of 16 at Summit Racing Equipment, or about $53.00 "EACH"!!!

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
If you 'only want [email protected] my advice is build it for 1200 then it will never break, building a motor for another 100ps is IMO pure madness. Let me guess, keeping stock pistons?

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks John, excellent advice as usual. Pardon my ignorance but are the ARP 625 Plus the best option then i.e. the psi ratings are the highest and the life is longest?

Yes, keeping stock pistons for now. Due to a combination of budget and what I have acquired over the last two years.

I think the Manley Turbo Tuff include the 300M that Ben Linney supplies. I am in contact with Ben to see whether it is better (for not much more money) to buy the 300M's without bolts and use my brand new ARP 625 Plus bolts (bought in 2019). The 300M spec looks excellent.

The FPC rods appear to have good reviews and are heavily used in German cars e.g. Audi, BMW. I could not find reviews in a GT-R though. They claim to have a 1000 Bhp and 9,000 rpm limit, which will give plenty of headroom.

·
Premium Member
5,816 Posts
Seems like madness to me to tear the engine down and not replace pistons while you have it in bits. Uprate everything you can while you have it apart is my advice

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
So you wont buy pistons for another say £800 but will risk a whole build on some pistons that work in an Audi ?? Very strange seeing as pistons will be out anyway, Id also fit cams and springs, most people I know who only did rods bitterly regret it and if someone wanted me to do it I would bid them farewell and just sit back and laugh.

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm planning to own GT-R's for the foreseeable future, so I'm accumulating parts which may be fitted to the current car, or another one later. I'd love to just buy and fit everything asap but the wife would have something to say about "wasting money on a car" doh! What I want to do is have parts fitted economically and gradually, not ideal. I'm actually happy with 700ps and some of the later improvements will be mainly for safety. Hopefully the R36 will come along with a game changing increase in power. Unfortunately it will presumably have the 2022 Nanny device fitted.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Ah, The wife BUT what if you die and she sells all the parts for what you told her you paid for them ! Then your gonna be parading around in your ghost suit well peeved off !!!!

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Your missing a trick Phil, you just lie about costs, its easy to get right women do it every time their lips are moving , you will soon catch on, no they threw the cams in love, well pistons were a deal with the rods only $200 !!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts