GTR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after watching a episode of top gear the one where the had to buy a sports car for under a grand, they did a bhp test and it seamed that over the years the cars had lost hp.

now what iam getting at is that with a 13/14 year old r32 gtr the standard bhp from factory was 280bhp, now over the years you would probably loose hp. one of the cars dynoed on the episode lost 100 or so hp over a number of years.
so if you imported a r32 and put stage 1 mods on it would you really expect 400bhp without really doing anything else to it.
how do you keep the standard bhp, is it with a regular service or is it a never ending battle:confused:

·
Registered
224 Posts
The engine is always wearing away, but regular servicing and not thrashing from cold will help slow the rate down as opposed to an engine that's just left to it and given a hard life.
For what it's worth, my Gtir gave spot on standard power on the rollers when it was 13years old.
Pity they didn't buy Nissans:chuckle:

·
Registered
771 Posts
Yes david, but only marginal power losses or even increases due to manufacturing tolerances.

Some may of left the factory at 270 bhp some may of had 285 bhp for example.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
I am led to believe that in the 70's super cars didnt every make anywhere near the power they were supposed too. I was just a quoted power race.

Having never dynoed a 70 super car I cant say for sure though.

They do all have distributers and carbs it would be very easy for them to drift out of tune.
Easy to restore though, its not as if the HP has just dissappeared

·
Registered
224 Posts
Car used to gain bhp for a couple of reasons. As the engine wears in, the internal friction losses reduce, so it frees up more bhp ATF. Also (probably not so much these days) coke build up in the engine would increase compression slightly, I've seen tests done (back in the 80s) where decoking lost some power. We aren't talking a great deal of power obviously, but noticeable all the same.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts