GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I intend to (in collaboration with a large tyre supplier) to weigh all the makes of tyres for Soarers and Skylines, this will give us all the opportunity to judge tyres from the perspective of Unsprung weight, the real cinderella of the tyre performance parameters, it is quite a huge undertaking as there are so many brands.

Now for the Soarer I will weigh the following sizes;

235/45×17
265/40×17
245/40×18
275/35×18

Please add to this the tyres you all run, if you can don't duplicate so that I can collate this lot speedily.

I won't be doing 19s' 20's and 22's.

Closing date for 'entries' is next Friday.

The results will be in the Tyre section on this forum, and after we have the info, this thread will be revived for discussion/debate on the findings.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Tyres

Mycroft,

The stock R33 runs 245/45/17.
Stock R34 runs 245/40/18

The 'standard' upgrade for both cars (if you exclude the few 19s) is to run a 10x18 wheel on either 265/35/18 or 275/35/18

I don't know the R32 sizes.

Yokohama and Bridgestone are the tyres of choice for about 80% or more drivers here.

Guy

·
Banned
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My idea is to get the tyre weights of every brand/type for 'our' sizes we can then play one thing off against another, if say tyre A weighs 18lbs and tyre B is 21lbs and they have very similar characteristics, then the decision can be swayed by the weight, Toyos are 'reknowned' for their lightness, but I have no proof of this, but hope to have soon. Lightness gives the car a more 'on its toes' feel to the car, a heavy tyre may make the car 'dig its heels in'.

After the tyres I'll have a go at wheels and get them weighed although I know there to be a complete list of wheel weights somewhere on the net and I might just use that after verifying a few.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Excellent work Mycroft,

I run Bridgestone SO3's - 265/35/18 on Volk Racing TE37's in 18x9.5

Look forward to the results.

Jez

·
Banned
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well have collated all the sizes so far! (well its a start)

I will shortly have a decent set of scales, I decided that the Bathroom scales wouldn't imbue me with the right credentials!

I hope very soon to start weighing about 150 tyres, which frankly I'm looking forward to in much the same way as I look forward to visiting my mother-in-laws, in fact if I could arrange the 2 to coincide and cry out of the latter I might view my task with more enthusiasm.

It will be done.

As will the wheel thing. (at some point)

Is your 'Hmm' an offer to help?

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
mine are 255/45/17 Falkens

·
Banned
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
bet you thought this had quietly died!

I have now found a suitable set of scales and with great thanks to Micheldever Tyres I will be weighing all the sizes mentioned above next Tuesday/Wednesday afternoon at their Micheldever depot.

I would like to thank Shaun of Micheldever for his immediate enthusiasm in assisting this club and the LSOC.

I am unaware of any 'tie-up' this club has with any other supplier of tyres so I hope that I have not stepped on anyones toes by thanking them, if I have I apologise, however if this club has no existing 'tie-ins' then I will push my luck and see if theses guys would see there way to offering some sort of club 'benefit', their tyre prices are already the best around here so I will look for a special rate for alignment, they use the Jim Bean alignment set-up which is about as good as you should want.

Cem if the above paragraph is likely to offend existing arrangements then please delete it.

Now the bad news, Wheels I was gonna do a similar thing for wheels but have you seen how many there are!, so stuff that, you're on your own!:D

So by next week-end we may just have some serous stuff on weights of tyres. So as to make some sense of the value of this info perhaps a knowledgeable member here would like to start a thread on the theory of the benefits un-sprung weight reduction.

·
Banned
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have now 80+% of all the makes weighed and in the next few weeks will have the remainder weighed (dependent as always on supplies) over 200 tyres in this exercise so it will be a damned good guide I think, just a little more patience.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts