GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about buying one of these at the moment, anyone in here had one or know if there is anything to look out for? Looking at something around 2008/9

·
Registered
190 Posts
Well, I guess it is up to you but aren't Aston Martins heavy tourers mainly?

I know the GT- R post Kenmeri is extra fat, but they have all wheel drive and other things. Also, aren't AMs further seperated from the road than a tank?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Well, I guess it is up to you but aren't Aston Martins heavy tourers mainly?

I know the GT- R post Kenmeri is extra fat, but they have all wheel drive and other things. Also, aren't AMs further seperated from the road than a tank?

·
Registered
478 Posts
DB9

Not sure about the DB9 but I have owned an R8 (4.2L V8 Manual with APR supercharger conversion) and that was as dull as dishwater.

I would get her to test drive a quick (ish) Audi TT and if she likes that then she WILL like the R8 and the driving sensation is very similar but with a "little" more drama.

If you do go R8 then I would steer away from the Mag-ride suspension and they are VERY prone to failure and cost £1k per corner plus fitting (I know this from experience).

The centre diff is also a weak point (£4.5k + fitting) if the car has been driven enthusiastically (I also know this from experience).

Just my 2p worth!

·
Premium Member
5,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Nick, she had 10 years in an R33 GTSt and currently pootles around in a 3.0d Manual A5 Quattro. She does barely any miles any more and doesn't really drive "enthusiastically" but wants a bit more of a special experience when she does use a car, and mine is rarely there for her to use.

She discounted a 2015 RS5 at the weekend as it was too similar to her A5 and didn't feel special enough for the money.

·
Premium Member
5,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
we had two (sometimes three) Skylines on the drive at once - I have been told in no uncertain terms we are not having the same car at the same time again...

·
Registered
250 Posts
DB9s are sexy beasts. Damn, my heart rate is increasing just thinking of those beautiful cars. Simon, you should get whatever you want since it's your choice. If my opinion mattered, I'd get the Aston. R8s are cool and the car is a monster, but I'd much rather have a classy, British racing pedigree car than an Audi that you see on the road a lot. And the DB9s sound insane if you do performance related things to it.

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
I agree, DB9's look excellent in the flesh and the interior is very high quality. Having driven one though, they aren't for hustling around quickly, feel very heavy when driving but soooo smooth and the engines are torquey.

I spent a year looking at these, and Maserati's (the 4.7 coupes) as well as Nissan GT-R's, before driving the latter, loving it and ultimately buying one (after seeing many, many for sale).

The DB9's apparently have known problems with oil leaks - in the same way as GT-R's have bellhousing issues - but aside from that seem to be strong. One thing I really noticed (looking at 09 cars) was just how good the brakes, wheel hubs, underside looked - never saw any ropey ones at all. Have never seen other cars with such consistently good looking non-rusty etc mechanicals, weird! Guess the owners /AM really go to town on them at servicing and/or very high quality parts used.

Anyhow, that's my twopenneth. Enjoy whatever you go for. :)

·
Premium Member
5,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well she went out this afternoon to test drive a 2010 DB9 and came home having bought it. It***8217;s from an Aston dealer so needs to go through the workshop, picking it up a week on monday

·
Registered
250 Posts
I am not sure she would look right with a pipe...
Hey Simon, how has the DB9 been holding up? I've seen a lot of the new Aston Martins, and they do not come anywhere close to the classiness and sexiness the DB9s or the older V8 Vantages from the mid 2000s possess. V12 must sound Godly I reckon?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts