GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,
First of all: I have done a search on this damper but most of the threads ended in that people went for the race alternative.

Questions: Is it worth installing the street damper on a RB26 engine where the power level never will be more than 500 crank horses?

Also is there any problems with this damper throwing off the aircon pulley?

Durability?? Does it has to be serviced/replaced every two years or something like that?

I think i have made a choice but feedback from people who has used these dampers would be great:)

Terje.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
i have just bought one but still to fit it states in the manual 5 years for power around 800hp 10 years other!! i guess over 500 should be fine! unless i have the wrong manual you will also need a 10mm shorter belt for the water pump

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
If you'll never see more than 500hp I would buy the street damper as I'm sure there's a reason ATI developed two different version for the RB26. Bigger is not always better. The damper should suit your setup and your needs.

Bearing in mind that a crank damper is a wearing part you should change them every two to four years anyway, as the damping elemts are made of rubber which lose its flexibility over the years.

The good thing with the ATI damper is that it's bolted on a hub, so this hub remains on your crank and you only need to change the damping part (so you don't need to buy a complete set everytime). You can also return the damper to ATI and they'll refurb it and change the elastic parts.

HTH

Leo

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Many thanks for the replies gtr-loz and Austrian GTR:thumbsup:

I dont think i need the ATI damper for the power my 34 is running but i will think about this, the spring is still far away.

Terje.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
im on stage 1 at the mo i got it because it seems that the standard pulley is responsible for alot of spun bearings etc at high revs, i would rather be safe than sorry and as it has to come off the change the timing belt thats why i was going to change it

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
im on stage 1 at the mo i got it because it seems that the standard pulley is responsible for alot of spun bearings etc at high revs, i would rather be safe than sorry and as it has to come off the change the timing belt thats why i was going to change it
Dito :thumbsup:

Ask Kismetcaptain as he can tell you some stories about spun bearings and damaged oil pumps until he finally got himself a pulley damper...

... this would be saving on the wrong place (new engine cost far more than a damn crank pulley).

Leo

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes i totally agree, this is definitely saving on the wrong place!:thumbsup:
I will order the ATI street damper and install this together with the genuine Nissan cambelt this spring:)

Terje.

·
Registered
213 Posts
You can also check out the new offerings from Ross.

I received an email a while back from them in regards to a new MAINTENANCE-FREE Balancer that they were releasing for RB26's, to replace the current model(s) they had for RB applications.

It might be worth getting in touch with them.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think maybe the cheapest place to get an ATI damper is Ebay.
I have not checked but around £300 plus shipment i would guess is a ok price.

I have not ordered the ATI damper yet.
Are there anyone who has any experience with the Ross dampers?

Terje.

·
Registered
141 Posts

Terje.
I run nothing but Ross Tuffbond Dampers. You can't get anything better. Never need to rebuild, the MetalJackets are rated to 1500hp. Lifetime Warranty. And they're proven on some of the fastest Aussie cars around perhaps fastest GTR's/RB's anywhere.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I run nothing but Ross Tuffbond Dampers. You can't get anything better. Never need to rebuild, the MetalJackets are rated to 1500hp. Lifetime Warranty. And they're proven on some of the fastest Aussie cars around perhaps fastest GTR's/RB's anywhere.
thats what im gonna go with (Y)

·
Registered
394 Posts
I think maybe the cheapest place to get an ATI damper is Ebay.
I have not checked but around £300 plus shipment i would guess is a ok price.

Terje.
Yes i had one after my standard damper failed during the running in of my newly forged engine! argh!!!

Did some research into them and ended up going with the ross / atomic one, very nice bit of kit and been going round and round nicely since.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Link fail for Ross...

here's an update of it:
Ross Tuffbond Metal Jacket RB26DETT Harmonic Balancer
Yeah their the ones, dont think i paid that much for it though, i rang round a few tuners and went and bought one off the shelf as they stocked them. In case your wondering, you could have a brand new stock one from nissan for £480 if think it was when i rang em........yeah that’s what i thought two, lol

1 - 20 of 26 Posts