GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have had our ATS triple plate carbon clutch installed for about 6 weeks or so. And it was fine.... working correctly.

We broke it in easily.....followed instructions....

Now it has about 600-700 miles on it - and it slips when its hot. When the car is cold - it holds fine - but when its hot it slips.

It slips at low rpm most of the time - but get the revs up and it does grab a bit.

It grabs enough at high rpm to be able to do a burnout - but at low rpm I can let my foot off the clutch and hold the car still at idle with the brake..... and the car does not stall...

I checked the slave cylinder and changed it. I thought it was engaging all the time so I moved it back a little. I shortened the actuator rod in the slave.....

I adjusted the pedal like ATS said to. Checked the fluid. Replaced the fluid. Bled the clutch about 4 times....

Still when its cold it grabs like normal. Get a little bit of heat into the transmission and it slips.

Pulling my hair out over why its fine cold and not good hot... opposite of how I think a carbon clutch should react to heat.....

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Sean u sure that isnt the way the Carbon clutch should work ?
a little slip at Low RPM and grips good at the higher rpm due to heat ,,, as I know Carbon works very good when its hot, a better grip at higher temp, vs a normal clutch that grips better at lower rpm and tends to slip alittle when hot...

why dont you reinstall the clutch take it out for inspection and put back in again...

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BBD said:
Sean u sure that isnt the way the Carbon clutch should work ?
why dont you reinstall the clutch take it out for inspection and put back in again...
You see the weird part was - cold it grabbed - warm it didn't.

Ha ha taking the clutch out and inspecting it is not high on my list of fun things to do....

If I could avoid it - I wanted to try and avoid it...

·
Registered
446 Posts
Ha ha taking the clutch out and inspecting it is not high on my list of fun things to

Ah hell Sean put your back into it,couple of guys and a gearbox jack and the box comes out in half an hour!
Guess you have answered your own question!
If you have checked the clutch preload or release bearing clearance,
pedal free/play....no oil contamination....and you have slip......surely the problem must be in the clutch pack itself?
Chuck it and get a new one!

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Release bearing clearance.....

I thought it might be pressing on the pressure plate - so I adjusted the pedal as directed..... then I moved the slave cylinder back a little - with a little clearancing....

Then I ended up removing the slave cylinder entirely with the car in gear on the lift . I could hold the wheels still - with the car at idle - with the slave cylinder off the car. So no preload with no slave on the car....

Just not looking forward to taking it out... I have other more important things to do like cleaning toilets....

·
Registered
446 Posts
Release bearing clearance.....

Never seen an 'ATS' carbon triple,I read Mario has ATS stuff all over his car.
Will look forward as to how you fix it.

Have heard lots of good and bad points on the HKS triple though.
Some pix of the clutch used in 'Project 'Z'
Drives much like stock really.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi guys. Today i mounted new ats twin plate clutch on my R34 gtr. But i am little disapointed. Its very noisy. Especially till 2000rpm. 2000+rpm is quiet. And when iam holding clutch pedal i listen "grinding" ? Or something like that

·
Premium Member
3,871 Posts
ATS state normal is best but some have used the Nismo successfully. I use stock with my triple. It works perfectly well.

·
Registered
26,566 Posts
Oddly about 3 months ago, went to start the 34, it wouldn’t engage gear ( was fine before it was moved around the workshop).
it runs an ATS triple carbon.

i bought new slave ( Nismo)& master just to do things right

nismo does not work with the ATS ( well not on my set up anyway ) the travel is just a few mms short

bled the system twice, new master, retained the oem slave

works perfect

·
Registered
124 Posts
Oddly about 3 months ago, went to start the 34, it wouldn’t engage gear ( was fine before it was moved around the workshop).

nismo does not work with the ATS ( well not on my set up anyway ) the travel is just a few mms short

works perfect
I'm thinking of fitting an ATS full carbon triple plate in place of my current OSG triple plate. The OSG is a nice clutch but do damn noisy. Is the ATS triple noisy?
Cheers

·
Registered
124 Posts

works perfect
I'm thinking of fitting an ATS full carbon triple plate in place of my current OSG triple plate. The OSG is a nice clutch but do damn noisy. Is the ATS triple noisy?
Cheers

·
Registered
68 Posts
no i dont get any of that.
It is maybe because you run different type of clutch made by ats. Its really annoying. I will never run twin plate again. I have whole car stock and its damn quite when engine is running. Only clutch makes noises. Everything is quiet

1 - 20 of 22 Posts