GTR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Does anyone with a Nismo vented bonnet or bonnet with a big central vent have problems with rain water on the coilpack cover?

I opened the bonnet the other day and had a half inch pool of water on the mid to rear of the coilpack cover.

Its looking likely to be the cause of my misfire as one coilpack doesnt work and one of my plugs looks like it had a mudbath!

I'm running standard camcovers although thinking about it the nissan 24 valve centre plate on the coilpack cover has been removed which probably doesnt help.

Anyone else have/had the same problem and if so what did you do about it?

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
believe me, its worse if the spark cover is removed too!! i thought id fooked the headgasket again when the water that had collected in cylinder 6 started to boil and kept making the car miss...

not good!!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Had this prob with a friends S13 and carbon vented bonnet. We Put some sealant (fishtank sealant i think it was...strong stuff!) around where the spark-plug cover sits then ref-fitted the cover and it formed a water tight seal so no more mis-fire!:)

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
my trouble is that if i have the cover on it heats up and misfires, but if i remove it and water gets in, it also misfires....doh!

·
Registered
25,500 Posts
i had a HKS Kansai bonnet on my 32 and it constantly had the misfire due to this

if you buy a TRUE nismo bonnet, this issue is completely solved, as it has channels to avoid this

suppose thats what you get for buying copies....

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,189 Posts
Surely your HKS one was kosher Matt?

GTIR owners with a front mount IC have this problem. Some enterprising sorts fashioned plates to sit over the spark plugs. Surely one of our esteemed site sponsors can knock something appropriate up!

PS I'll happily take 10% of all profits.

PPS Only joking

PPS 15%

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
i had a HKS Kansai bonnet on my 32 and it constantly had the misfire due to this

if you buy a TRUE nismo bonnet, this issue is completely solved, as it has channels to avoid this

suppose thats what you get for buying copies....
Spot on Matt:thumbsup: Had my Genuine Nismo bonnet on my R34 GT-R now for over a year, daily driver & use a pressure washer most weekends & never had a problem;)

Dave.

·
Registered
25,500 Posts
my 32 bonnet had been "Modified" as it was stored inside in japan.

it was a fecker to wash, water went on to the coil packs etc,

after that i would NEVER use a carbon bonnet,

The nismo one on the 34 is very nice quality and does its job, i could be tempted by that but the price is huge lol

i am not saying it as a parts supplier, but nismo dont just tend to mock these things up in 5mins, they do put some thought into the design, hence the price

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They dont do a Nismo bonnet for my car though, how are the nismos modified?

My car is running now after new coilpacks and plugs and I want it to stay that way!

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
Maybe devise your own channels to run along the edge of the vents to take the water away? Oh and parking it facing up hill might also help ;)

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
hi mate, i made a detachable drip tray fo my nismo copy bonnet, 2 x screws and its off. works good too. bonded two strips/runners on the inside of the bonnet then got a thin piece of alloy, got the edges folded up by 1mm and welded then drill to water holes to drain where they would not damage anything.bernie

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Does the Top Secret bonnet give similar problem's?? anybody with a Top Secret Bonnet encounter these or any other problem's??

1 - 12 of 12 Posts