GTR Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be attaching wider R34 GTR fenders to my GTT so gonna be cutting and removing most of the GTT fenders and probably lapping the GTR fender on top a little and having it welded into place. I am always paranoid and I want to know when the GTR fenders are welded to the car I know from wleding there will be a lot of heat transfer to the panels and on the inside of the welds there will be some surface rust that is gonna appear. How do I treat the surface rust on the insde of the fender as there is not going to be anyway to get to it to treat it as it will be sealed from underneath as well? Any suggestions as I do not want to have rust problems later on in these areas.

Jason.

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,203 Posts
Assuming you are buying OEM R34 GTR wings then you might want to consider that they are ally (or at least the wings on my R32 GTR are ally). Welding ally to steel might not be the best idea.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Assuming you are buying OEM R34 GTR wings then you might want to consider that they are ally (or at least the wings on my R32 GTR are ally). Welding ally to steel might not be the best idea.
I think he is talking about the rear wings.

After my welds on the inside of the body panel, I always hit them zinc spray, then some sound deadening(sp) over the zinc. I clean the welds with a stainless wire brush before applying the zinc paint (galvinize(sp)).

Your not far from me, I am down in Curacao:)

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey what's up, went Curacao last year. MAy be back later this year as well. Well the thing is the rear fenders are a sealed area once done, so I guess once I weld the outer area I will need to clean it and zinc paint it, but the last piece that needs welding will be the inner flap of the wheel well and I am not seeing any way to get at the inner part once it is welded shut. Is there any access from the trunk area if I remove the trunk upholstery?

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
I am sure you'll be able to hit it with paint from the inside. I have not worked on a R34, so I do not know. I know for the R32s you can:)

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah just checked it and yes you can actually treat it from inside the trunk area. Should be able to clean and prep with zinc oxide and some sort of rust proofing when the rear metal fenders and the metal inner wheel addition is welded into place.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts