GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen som guys run on audi coils on their straight six engines, mostly rb26.

Im woundering if anyone have experience with this setup and what coilpack to choose since there are so many vag coils to choose from.

And is there anything i should be awere of when setting up the system?

Ok`n

·
Registered
451 Posts
has nothing to do with design.
Nissan OEM coils are very good, it's the age that doesn't any good.

if you buy a new set of OEM's, they are better then most aftermarket ones.

And if you whant aftermarket ones for better spark.

Worlds nr1 coil is WeaponX
2nd best are Denso's.

Proven dyno's and research on the coil sparking etc... there's somewhere a website about them compare coils together of all kind of brands, testing with all kinds of methodes and equipment.

that's why i run now Denso Pencil coils that kan handle 14K Rpm, 3x better spark etc...
WeaponX importing from usa is a little expensive for the little better spark

·
Registered
926 Posts

2nd best are Denso's.

Proven dyno's and research on the coil sparking etc... there's somewhere a website about them compare coils together of all kind of brands, testing with all kinds of methodes and equipment.

that's why i run now Denso Pencil coils that kan handle 14K Rpm, 3x better spark etc...

i disagree with you on this front, as this question was asked on one of the facebook pages and was covered in depth by the sweedish guys, if i remember correctly the VAG coils made a strong difference as they have to endure much higher spark loads due to the TFSI engine or the R8 engine, that and the design has changed within the coils. i will see if i can find it, but there was an advantage in going down this route. i shall either be going down the VAG route or the Okada plasma coil option.

hope this helps the answer to your question.

James

·
Registered
292 Posts
What setup will you be trying new coils with?

I would personally go with an oem solution that's easy and relatively cheap to obtain if you get into a pinch.

Be a PITA if you had a coil go down and had to order some bespoke expensive items.

I'd like to get rid of my amplifier if possible without spending a fortune on something like an IP coil kit.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts

2nd best are Denso's.

Never heard of weapon x.

And the Nissan ones new are only better than any other replica coil because their, errr, new.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes as jayman says ive seen the vag coilpacks mostly on sweedish cars. Talked to local tuner friend of mine and his opinion are that oem and splifire coil pack are just the same. He did not say any details other than he checkd them in physical and output are similar to oem.

My research if you are going to use a vag oem coilsetup and in the prosess remove the amplifier, in wont cost you more than 100 to 200pounds.

Anyway i just got a oem coilpack and will stick with them to my 700hp setup until i can prove them wrong.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Is it as simple as removing the amp?

I've not done much research to see if it's simple enough to swap from s1 to s2 type coils, and if it's merely a simple wiring change.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Sorry for being off topic..

Does anyone install r35 coils on their car? I have the Gtr magazine and some of the tuners in Japan been doing it.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Any good mechanic will tell you that the most common cause of VAG engine breakdown is coil failure. These are the last coils that I would advise anyone to fit to their engine, the only advantage is that they are relatively cheap, which is probably why some people opt for them!

Marine coils / MSD coils are best suited to high boost turbocharged engines, as these give a high voltage spark like plasma coils, but over a longer duration.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Don't experiment with unfamiliar setups unless you have to, stick with OEM or reputable aftermarket brands that have extensive R&D behind their product. Always has been my rule of thumb for any car I've had, and has always proven correct.

·
Registered
14 Posts
NGK makes same coils as VAG. Much better quality, same price. And cheap as hell. Better than old nissan design in any case. Worth of hassle!

·
Registered
328 Posts
I've just done this conversion to my 32GTR, but only have a standard ECU. Seems to run fine but I'm a little concerned about dwell times etc, can those of you using these Audi coils shed any light? Everything i've read seems to suggest they're fine but it pays to check!

1 - 20 of 77 Posts