GTR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I don't agree. I use audi coils on every each project in last 10 years.
NEVER had a failure.
First, DON'T buy audi.
Buy NGK.
Second. Dwell time is what kills them.
If u can't have dwell time controlled at 1.8ms to 2ms, u will kill these in a long run.
4 coils light up methanol powered 2.0 4cyl engine with ease. 1100hp.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I don't agree. I use audi coils on every each project in last 10 years.
NEVER had a failure.
First, DON'T buy audi.
Buy NGK.
Second. Dwell time is what kills them.
If u can't have dwell time controlled at 1.8ms to 2ms, u will kill these in a long run.
4 coils light up methanol powered 2.0 4cyl engine with ease. 1100hp.

I've got NGKs fortunately, I always trust them for plugs so figured I could for the coils. Does the standard ECU go above 2ms dwell time at all?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Yeah I can't really find anything elsewhere either. Seems to be a good few people running them on other standard Nissan ECUs (RB20/25, CA, SR, KA)

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I think i am going to go down a slightly different route and try the LS2 truck coils which have the heatsinks built in. A few guys over at SAU have been using these with great success and the are also cheap.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Standard dwell is 1.7ms , I am looking to upgrade my coils as I have had an issue in the past. I have cleaned and insulated them now and they are 100% better. I run a 0.6 gap and its fine but I think I can improve this with new coils. I have a link G4+ and intend to use LS or R8 coils.

·
Registered
315 Posts
If you want to upgrade spark coil pack, why don't you go for Okada Projects? Now that's a proper upgrade IMO. BTW, has anyone switched from Stock to Okada ones? If so, what's it like?

·
Registered
142 Posts
going to jump onto this also....

Would like to upgrade the coils but has anyone a wiring Diagram for removing the coil amp and rewiring in the R8 coils? OEM nissan are 3 pin and R8 are 4 pin

They also sit up miles compared to the OEM nissan units, so there might be a better OEM unit from a different car that would work better and keep the OEM coil cover.

Okada Projects Coil like most aftermarket units unless very high end nearly always use an off the shelf part put a sticker on it and increase the margin for 400% now this is only my view BUT when you look at the below images it suggests it might have some truths ?

They look very like Split Fire coils?

Also they seam to do coils for the vw range also , they look very much like the NGK items above with a flashy badge

·
Registered
423 Posts
I have vag fsi coils(bosch), these are right lenght so I can put coilpack cover back. Never had any problems with these.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have vag fsi coils(bosch), these are right lenght so I can put coilpack cover back. Never had any problems with these.
O are they are same style as the r8 ?

VAG numbers i found are:

0 221 604 115
0 221 604 113 Superseded by above
0 221 604 109 Superseded by above

They all seam to be the same NGK IGNITION COIL 48041

Anyone have a simple wiring diagram for this conversion?

·
Registered
423 Posts
O are they are same style as the r8 ?

VAG numbers i found are:

0 221 604 115
0 221 604 113 Superseded by above
0 221 604 109 Superseded by above

They all seam to be the same NGK IGNITION COIL 48041

Anyone have a simple wiring diagram for this conversion?
i don't know, i have coil set with bolt-on wiring loom. z-power in Finland sell these kits.

·
Registered
608 Posts
If I can mount directly on the spark plug with the AEM coils I will try, If this fails I will use HT leads. I like the AEM coils as they have good reviews and dont suffer from the "Copy" issue LS2 and LS9 . The testing and set-up is good as the manufacturer gives the optimum dwell etc. The down side they are a big coil. Cost is ok at £70 ish each.

·
Registered
9,679 Posts
Don't know why people are still wasting time with Audi or LS coils. Think a bit carefully and you could have a setup which is much better and not overhang the the plug recess and can still use your plug cover.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Don't know why people are still wasting time with Audi or LS coils. Think a bit carefully and you could have a setup which is much better and not overhang the the plug recess and can still use your plug cover.
This is what i plan on doing... Ferrari 360 coils are pretty good and i can get them without the long extension and use the OEM nissan boot but need to figure the wiring...

21 - 40 of 77 Posts