GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd share a few pics with you all.
(not sure if this should be in the build section or not - i'm not planning to add to it really)

I discovered the speakers in the doors had gone mouldy so decided to replace them with the plug and play kit from R35Audio. Then I thought well, if i'm going to do the fronts then I might as well do the sub as well. A stealth install was what i wanted and Andy's kits offer just that.

Once I started stripping the car I saw he also offered a carbon fibre dipping service and since a lot of the silver trim was scratched i took the opportunity to get some bits sent off too.

Hertz HSK163 3-way door speakers, HCP 4D digital amp which is powering just the fronts and a 8" kicker sub with HCP1D digital mono amp (not shown)

Starting to strip the car

Silver trim removed to be sent for dipping

There's been an annoying rattle behind the dash for ages. When i took it apart i noticed a few screws missing. Pretty sure it didn't come from the factory like that and the only other people that would have been back there are NHPC when they replaced the instrument cluster under warranty. Add screws and 3M pads..no rattles anywhere now!

I wanted to run OFC to the doors...not an easy task. There's a waterproof ISO connector you have to go through and that's the only way in. Luckily, inside the connector there's a fair bit of room so it was just a case of a small bit of dremmeling and fishing the cable through.

Doors fully dynamatted and crossovers fitted in place.

Every single connection soldered in place....I find soldering really satisfying for some reason. Got one of those little gas powered jobs and it's great!

Wiring kit for RoadHawk HD. Just tapped in to the wires for the accessory socket for that. Now totally hidden, not a cable in sight.

This is where the amp for the door speaker lives. This has also all been dynamatted and the wires tidied away.

Sub installed...perfect fit.

This is the first amp I tried for the sub but it turned out to useless due to cutting out after 5 mins. Now replaced with the HCP1D which is much smaller.

Bass boost controller hidden away in the centre console.

Then the CF smoked dipped bits of trim came back from Andy after just a few days. As soon as i opened the package i was impressed with the quality. I know fake CF is not for everyone but given the choice between that and cheapy scratched silver trim....i think it looks nice.

Sub enclosure giving away no clues about what lies beneath.

The trim comes away really easily in the GTR and so getting the bits off the gear stick as well as the start button surround are nice touches.

This is my favourite bit. Really makes things look different in there.

And to finish it off, a new wheel from Mr Verinder's previous group buy.

All in all, had a great time putting this lot together. Made sure everything was perfect when installing. Got rid of all the rattles etc.

The sounds system is just on a completely different level now. Crispy clear front stage and strong, deep and punchy bass. The speakers are still running in so a little bit tight but I can hear them improving in the short time it's been installed.

Just wanted to say huge thanks to Andy and R35audio. Couldn't fault his service with answering my emails really quickly and offering to swap bits around to get things right. Top bloke, excellent kit.

Also thanks to Verin for sorting out the steering wheel and posting it quickly.

·
Premium Member
1,040 Posts
Wow!!!

Looks fantastic. Wish I had the time, patience and the skill to do these things to my cars!!!

Just a quicky - any reason why you didn't get your air vent surrounds CF dipped???

·
Registered
115 Posts
That looks miles better. I don't actually think the Bose system sounds too bad. Either that or my speakers have been changed by the previous owner

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
Great pics, ive just sent some bits for dipping, how difficult is it to remove the silver bit in the steering wheel?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks! Certainly makes it feel a bit more special to sit inside now.

Wish I had the time, patience and the skill to do these things to my cars!!!

Just a quicky - any reason why you didn't get your air vent surrounds CF dipped???
I'm a bit the same. Did this over 2 weekends and a few evenings. Nice not to have to rush it.

I wanted to get the air vent surrounds done but they're attached to the vent piping and that means removing the dash to get at them, i think. I wasn't feeling that brave.

That looks miles better. I don't actually think the Bose system sounds too bad. Either that or my speakers have been changed by the previous owner
Depends what you're used to I suppose. Compared to most standard OEM systems in everyday cars it's not too bad. There's nothing quite like being immersed in crystal clear sound though. You do have to keep an eye on the rev counter though so you know when to change gear :chuckle:

Great pics, ive just sent some bits for dipping, how difficult is it to remove the silver bit in the steering wheel?
You'll love how they come back. So you need to remove the steering wheel first ; http://www.acuteperformance.com/gtr...Steering_Wheel_Replacement_Nissan_GTR_R35.pdf

The control panel unscrews from behind. Once that's off there's a few more screws and then you pop the PCB away and you're left with the surround ready for dipping.

Keep in mind though you have to disconnect the airbag so disconnect the battery for at least 10 mins before you do that. I still managed to trip some codes but can be reset with an ECUtek cable.

I took loads of photos and kept all the screws etc in little baggies, makes it easier when putting it all back together. I'm no mechanic, there's nothing overly complicated here if you can handle a screwdriver and socket set.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Looks great! If you don't mind me asking, how much does it cost roughly to get a part like the gear surround dipped? I'd really like to get some of these bits done, as they are somewhat scratched in my car, too.

Steering wheel looks very nice also, shame they're so expensive :-(

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wouldn't know about individual parts I'm afraid. I had mine all done in one job lot and I think it was about 35 individual pieces.

If you speak to Andy, sure he will give you a quote for those bits.
R35audio in the sponsors section of the forum or | R35 GTR Car Audio

·
Vendor
1,699 Posts
Wow, what an amazing job. Glad you are happy with the bits I did for you :) Looks stunning.

I've recently done another R-R-R panel and surround and it looks awesome. Going to do my own car now as I've only got the main components done and this really finishes it off. When I get chance, I will do my steering wheel too. Shame it doesn't just "pop" off.

I bow down to your efforts and am so glad you're please with the outcome.

Anyone who wants audio, 4 light kits or carbon dipped parts without the GTR Tax I've got a few threads in here or links in my signature :thumbsup:

·
Registered
540 Posts
Looks the pups mark. A lot of work but well worth it. I see you also removed the inner door handles & trim. I cant fathom out how these are removed? I've gotton the front ali trims off and then see that there are several bolts & screws.....removed them but the actual handle and rest of the ali trim is still solid.....is it a door card off trim?

Thanks bud

Louie

·
Registered
941 Posts
Looks the business!
Did Andy do your gear knob too? my gear 'button' has had a scratch on it that has bugged me since the day I got it. I didn't think you would be able to get this dipped.

If Andy reads this, I still plan to have my bits done but cashflow is only going one way at the moment (just as it was when I had to sell on my steering wheel from Verinder's group buy :( )

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
cheers chaps. Firestarter, I sent you a PM.

Andy got the gear knob parts dipped as well for me. Wasn't sure how they would come out but they look great....much better than the previous scratched up fake aluminium stuff.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Danny.

Don't for God's sake listen to one of Andy's installs.

If you do, you'll be forking out for one.

I know cause I did and then I had to!

Another case of you don't know what you're missing till you have it.

Pleased I did now though:bowdown1:

(P.S. You can't just change the door speakers as they are different Ohms for the Mid and Bass speakers and you also need specially made spacers to adapt new speakers. Andy does everything you need)

Satan

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
Just had 8 parts dipped and returned from Andy.
It took about 40mins to take them off following his instructions - quite a simple process. 30 mins to pack them up safely and drop them in the post office. A week later they arrived back and it took me 30mins to re fit.
They look great and you cant beat that OEM fit, much nicer than stuck on covers.
For the price they are a bargain 8 parts for the price of 1 CF cover....

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm thinking about getting the kicker sub box from andy.

How do you find the bass from kicker compared to the bose woofers? Is it much deeper? Are you running 2ohm from your sub amp?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts