GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have had another very dissapointing experience with Nissan customer service.

Everything audio related on the car has failed. Music doesnt play, navigation woman isnt speaking to me any more and although the phone connects to the system, no sound comes out.

The car is a 2009 and out of the 3 year warranty (however still within 5, which I know some cars have), so I have been trying to get Nissan to give a good will geusture and fix the problem, but to no avail.

I have tried to explain that this is an item that should last the lifetime of the car and is not a 'wear and tear' item, and asked them if they think it reasonable that their systems should only last 4.5 years? They accept what i am saying but still say they will not contribute towards the cost of repair.

This lack of help may be because they wanted to know the service history of the car (why is this relevant?) to which I had to say 50% Nissan and 50% independent garages (Litchfields). This has not gone down well!

Head / brick wall :confused:

Anyway looking at some of the other posts it could be the amp on the system, but not sure until a diagnosis is carried out (for which Nissan want £140!).

So the question is, can anyone tell me someone other than Nissan that can help diagnose and fix the issue?

As its a daily driving car it really has had an impact not having the audio, more than I thought.

All help appreciated.

Ben

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
Just drag them through the courts if you feel they should contribute, very cheap and low risk for yourself

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Ben, speak to Andy (as5606) on here, from R35Audio.com
He might be able to offer you a workaround that he's done for someone else.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Also I think Jurgen (JM-Imports) mentioned that they can fix them too now, worth contacting aswell.

On a side note, I think this is something Nissan should pull their finger out with

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Question why in the states all owners got a letter 2 years back stating in general that the audio head unit and dash warranty issues had meant they'd changed the warranty on these items from 3years/36,000 miles to 6 years/unlimited miles. With the letter they also gave a sticker to place in the warranty book or on the inside of the door so that if a problem occurred the dealer would honour it.

It's a joke, in the States they had an option to have the steering column ECU replaced free of charge and in Japan is was a full on recall.

In the UK we didn't and mine failed, ended up having to source replacement as a cost and Nissan UK unwilling to help or acknowledge the recalls of the known issue around the world. 3 months later I get a letter saying Nissan UK are doing recall and warranty on this part takes the piss.

I imagine at some point once everyone has had a failure and no longer needs warranty they'll issue something thats not helpful at all.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Any legal minds on here able to shed any light on this?

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Eager to see how this plays out. I think we should all chime in and maybe get a petition or something? The guys in the states did the same with the BMW E46 M3 boot floor issue.

The unit costs around £4-5K!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the responses guys. I am not about to let this go so long as I have a good argument, so please keep the suggestions coming.

Its completely unreasonable that the unit should fail on any car let alone a higher value model such as ours.

Is there any more info on the US situation as I could go back quoting that?

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
You could disconnect the battery for a while (an hour or so) and see if it reboots completely?

An alternative would be to park outside Nissan Customer Services and have a huge sign on the car, stating that they're not honouring an extended warranty granted in the US and Japan? :D

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Just found this on the US Board, GTRLife

6 years, extended warranty on the car AV unit. Mileage unlimited.

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
Letter before action clearly stating what you what Nissan or its agent to do, give them 14 to resolve to your satisfaction then follow the small claims fast track to recover any costs in fixing outside of Nissan
Make sure the letter states that Nissan and its agent will be responsible for costs and interest

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Let's get some momentum going with this, it fu**s me right off that they only cover non sat nav cars for the same problem. Clearly, they know there's a problems with them, they just don't want to stump up a replacement.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
That post above backs up my findings of 6 years unlimited mileage. Maybe you need to go outside of Nissan UK or request it's escalated further.

Don't understand how Nissan USA and Japan get these recalls but UK doesn't. (no idea how rest of EU deals with these issues)

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
... they wanted to know the service history of the car (why is this relevant?) to which I had to say 50% Nissan and 50% independent garages (Litchfields). This has not gone down well!
I'm not surprised that the were worried knowing that some Nissan chumps had 'serviced' the car previously :chuckle:

You'd be really p!ssed off if you'd just clocked one million miles and then your MFD malfunctioned!

Good luck getting this sorted OP. Will be interesting to see if Nissan to finally start treating their British & European customers the same way they treat their US equivalents - though, this may say as much about us as them tbh

·
Registered
146 Posts
Yeah Nissan seem to be back tracking in the uk regarding the av unit failing. Of course it's in the company's interest to try and save money but this seems a little dishonest as clearly they have acknowledged that there's a problem. They are getting away with it in the UK so why would they change their stance? How can we make them treat us on par with US & Japan?

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Could anyone on here with a legal background form some words for a letter? I am happy head this up starting with Nissan UK but just need some assistance with wording as its not my field.

I am also unclear how you would argue it through small claims as I am trying to get them to do it through good will.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
What, like I detailed in post 11!
Sorry reading on a phone, agree with you.

My letter before action, albeit not with a Nissan dealer, was simply to complete the forms and send them to the other party before I intended sending them to the court. They paid up.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts