GTR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today the sun decided to shine for the first time in weeks, so I got underway with the first project, Auto door locking.

I had looked into using several triggering inputs..

- Driver's seatbelt
- Engine RPM
- Speed
- Shift position

After looking at all options, I decided upon the following..

Doors lock when the gearstick is shifted out of Park.

I decided upon this route because..

1. It keeps install to just 4 wires, all within easy reach.

2. Isnt interfering/interfacing with any essential systems (e.g. SRS, ECU etc)

3. It only requires one switching module, 4 wires, no special tools and only need to remove 2 interior panels.

4. Keeps operation simple so the doors only lock when you are ready to drive off.

This install requires a specially made timed relay which I have had fabricated as a one off.

Depending upon the level of interest, I will enquire about getting a number made and like everything in life, the more I order, the cheaper they become.

It is not possible to do this without this special timed module as the switch must turn off after a short time. A normal 12v relay will remain closed and prevent unlocking of the doors.

If there is sufficient interest I will as ever, produce a clear "how to" guide for every unit, but as ever, I would always recommend getting an auto sparky to fit it if you have any doubts.

I'm hopeful that if I can order sufficient modules, each kit should cost around £100, which will include everything needed.

Quick snap of module during install....

If anyone is interested, please add your name below and once I know numbers, I'll post up a more accurate price.

And as ever, if anyone's got any questions, just ask.

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nope.

You have to flip the unlock switch just as you would normally with a GTR.

I'll look into that but I have the suspicion that would involve dismantling doors!

Like I said above, this solution was intended to be as straight forward as possible.

Video on the way, just waiting for youtube to finish processing it. ;)

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Nope.

You have to flip the unlock switch just as you would normally with a GTR.

I'll look into that but I have the suspicion that would involve dismantling doors!

Like I said above, this solution was intended to be as straight forward as possible.

Video on the way, just waiting for youtube to finish processing it. ;)
Sorry i'm being dim...i'm guessing from your comment that it's standard on the UK Spec GTR's? I haven't checked whether it's on my car on not. Black ed coming next month (WOOO HOOO i can say that) rubbish i know, but i'm only just building up the excitement after months of avoiding 'watchign paint dry'

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As promised, some video of this solution working...

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry i'm being dim...i'm guessing from your comment that it's standard on the UK Spec GTR's? I haven't checked whether it's on my car on not. Black ed coming next month (WOOO HOOO i can say that) rubbish i know, but i'm only just building up the excitement after months of avoiding 'watchign paint dry'
LOL I know what you mean!

UK GTRs do not have auto door locking hence my, even if I do say so myself (!), very cool solution!

What I meant in my last reply is that once locked, the doors arent unlocked by pulling the door handle. You will have to press the unlock button to unlock the doors.

Clear as mud eh?

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another update LOL!!

I've had a look at doing an auto unlock when the gearstick is back in the PARK position, and if I'm right, it should only need another 2 connections and 1 wire to make this happen.

Too dark now to check it out, so if the sun's out tomorrow I'll take a look.

CC

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
LOL I know what you mean!

UK GTRs do not have auto door locking hence my, even if I do say so myself (!), very cool solution!

What I meant in my last reply is that once locked, the doors arent unlocked by pulling the door handle. You will have to press the unlock button to unlock the doors.

Clear as mud eh?
Cheers for the update Charlie. Great info and great solution.

Count me as interested.

Good luck with the unlock - although for what it's worth, i'll sometime shift my car into P if i'm waiting in a jam or something.

Bizarre that pulling the handle (it's twice in a bmw) doesn't unlock/open the doors.

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cheers for the update Charlie. Great info and great solution.

Count me as interested.

Good luck with the unlock - although for what it's worth, i'll sometime shift my car into P if i'm waiting in a jam or something.

Bizarre that pulling the handle (it's twice in a bmw) doesn't unlock/open the doors.
In which case I may keep the PARK to unlock as an end user option.

Personally, I've never put any auto into park whilst at a standstill, I just use N.

As for other cars, my M Class unlocks with the interior handle, as did my Boxster, M3, etc etc. Only my GTR doesnt!

Anyway, I'll try the park unlock weather permitting tomorrow.

·
Registered
938 Posts
my old dinosaur 7 series has a safety feature whereby in case of an accident the doors unlock again (according to the manual). might be worth considering some failsafe mechanism to unlock the doors if the button stops working

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A failsafe is to pull the button up by hand! (or use the unlock on the keyfob)

I would expect any deadlocks, if any, to only activate upon arming of the alarm.

·
Registered
669 Posts
OK so you have an accident, everyone is knocked unconsious, nasty smell of leaking petrol. People rush over to give assistance but find that all the doors are locked.

What next?

Rich

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Er smash the window and pull up the lock tab?

My M Class Merc auto locks and the pins drop into the doors which makes your scenario even harder with this particular vehicle.

Fail to see your point when almost every car over 20k has auto locking doors.

Here's a scenario for you...

You're sat at a set of traffic lights and somebody opens your door and drags you out of your car/grabs your wife's handbag/etc/etc....

This scenario happens quite regularly which why people have asked for a solution.

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Forgot to mention that your scenario will still happen in the GTR if you lock your doors with the door switch. My solution just removes the need to manually flip the switch so once activated, the module turns off and your car is back to normal.

Nissan may have added a failsafe to the locking system which is activated by the SRS system in the event of a crash.

That said, my solution above just presses the lock button for you instead of you having to do it manually every time you drive off. After it switches off (approx 1 sec), your GTR is as Nissan intended.

Personally, I fail to see a safety issue.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Forgot to mention that your scenario will still happen in the GTR if you lock your doors with the door switch. My solution just removes the need to manually flip the switch so once activated, the module turns off and your car is back to normal.

Nissan may have added a failsafe to the locking system which is activated by the SRS system in the event of a crash.

That said, my solution above just presses the lock button for you instead of you having to do it manually every time you drive off. After it switches off (approx 1 sec), your GTR is as Nissan intended.

Personally, I fail to see a safety issue.
yes, sorry, I think you are right

·
Registered
485 Posts
Wow - awesome work. Not a priority for me, but as ever your ingenuity impresses :)

I look forward to seeing the full mod set at Millbrook in September...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts