GTR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done a search and come up blank.

Anyone know if there is any way to alter the sensitivity or rather amount of light required/not required to activate the headlights when in auto mode?

I find that they turn on long after I would have normally turned on my lights, which is bugging me somewhat, because I'm probably going to end up just using them manually at this rate.

Perhaps I should ask my HPC...

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Mine is the same.
Whilst I can't help with the sensitivity, I would like to announce that
Since I invented automatic headlights control via micro-controller in 1996, and
Had my idea stolen, none of the vehicle manufacturers have been able to match my initial solution for pure real world usability, and appropriate operation of the vehicle lights.

WingedBeast1968 1 Vehicle manufacturing thieves nil

Thanks for the opportunity to vent. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've had the same experience, my M3 was bang on. I keep my headlights on all the time. When you stop the car they switch off automatically

·
Registered
387 Posts
I've done a search and come up blank.

Anyone know if there is any way to alter the sensitivity or rather amount of light required/not required to activate the headlights when in auto mode?

I find that they turn on long after I would have normally turned on my lights, which is bugging me somewhat, because I'm probably going to end up just using them manually at this rate.

Perhaps I should ask my HPC...
Mine are the same. Theoretically you could alter the Voltage Signal from the Optical Sensor to the BCM but that would require dissassembly and additional components to be installed. Alternatively, a filter over the Sensor could reduce the light and hence the point at which it switches the lights on. I will try some translucent tape so see if I can get it to work a bit better. The Sensor is at the front of the Dashboard near where it meets the window.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mine are the same. Theoretically you could alter the Voltage Signal from the Optical Sensor to the BCM but that would require dissassembly and additional components to be installed. Alternatively, a filter over the Sensor could reduce the light and hence the point at which it switches the lights on. I will try some translucent tape so see if I can get it to work a bit better. The Sensor is at the front of the Dashboard near where it meets the window.
Ahh, not sure why I didn't think about trying to alter the light level reaching the sensor - clever man! I might have a go myself... let me know how you get on.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Lights seem markedly less sensitive on auto on the 11MY. I was told this was because of the daytime running lights, which seems a fair point but it is a bit annoying in tunnels and underpasses etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts