GTR Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Can anyone think of a situation where you would want to flick from auto to manual but not actually change gear? Me neither! But even if you can, is there any reason not to just use the main gear lever to do so?

I would like to change the default behavior of the paddles so that when flicked while in auto-mode, they not only switch to manual-mode but they also perform the gear change.... why would you not?

Does anyone know if this can be done using Consult-III or AccessPORT ?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
doing 180MPH and try changing down to 5th?
Robbie, you've lost me ....

... does anyone ever use the paddles to switch mode from auto to manual yet not actually want to change gear?

That's the default behaviour. Makes no sense to me.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I do agree that the default setting is a bit silly..
However I've now got used to going manual as soon as i get in cos I HATE being in 6th gear before I hit 30mph!!!!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do agree that the default setting is a bit silly..
However I've now got used to going manual as soon as i get in cos I HATE being in 6th gear before I hit 30mph!!!!
Yup, me too ... all that 6th-before-30 nonsense is to do with being able to log preferential CO2 figures with the government.

I rarely use auto but when I do I want to be able to snap straight to manual, including the gear change.

·
Premium Member
7,641 Posts
Yup, me too ... all that 6th-before-30 nonsense is to do with being able to log preferential CO2 figures with the government.

I rarely use auto but when I do I want to be able to snap straight to manual, including the gear change.
Is it such a big hassle to just pull the paddle twice anyways?

My GTR goes straight into Manual as soon as the gearstick is shifted from Park by just pulling the stick towards me when it gets to Drive.

Auto, smzzauto..... :smokin:

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
It would need a TCM reflash to change this behaviour. Maybe at some point...

I like auto nearly all the time, only thing I don't like is how it drops gears one at a time rather than a block shift like a torque converter auto. R mode auto is interesting, but it does leave you in rather a low gear after you've overtaken something, but is good for press on driving, and probably more effective than me in manual. Too much happens too quickly for me to do it as well as R auto to be honest.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is it such a big hassle to just pull the paddle twice anyways?
The hassle isn't in having to pull the paddle twice, it's when you pull it once and expect a response (because you thought you were in manual mode already)... then don't get one.. then the moment has passed so you might as well be in Auto mode .. but of course you are now in manual .. and you have to nudge the main gear lever to get back into auto ...

I'm hoping it can be fixed using the AP.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
I agree that it's irritating. In my CSL pulling the paddle changed gear and put it into manual mode in one go (as did my Alpina B5), in the GTR you need two presses and it's stupid.

As for the change down at 180mph comment, it wouldn't let you change if it was over the rev limit and if you were in 6th gear in Auto why would you be reaching for the paddles?

It would nice if they made it a setting that could be selected via the MFD.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It would nice if they made it a setting that could be selected via the MFD.
Absolutely! BMW are onto something extremely useful and sensible with their highly configurable "M" button. Can we not have an "N" for Nismo button configurable from the MFD? :thumbsup:

·
Registered
35 Posts
I seem to be different as I like the default behavior. I think in city driving the auto mode changes gears too often, as I need to stop often. The moment I realize this happening I usually just want current gear to stay, and that's when pulling paddle to hold it is great.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Can anyone think of a situation where you would want to flick from auto to manual but not actually change gear? Me neither! But even if you can, is there any reason not to just use the main gear lever to do so?

I would like to change the default behavior of the paddles so that when flicked while in auto-mode, they not only switch to manual-mode but they also perform the gear change.... why would you not?
Does your mouse double click or have you set it to click once, I think that having to "double click" the paddle is no biggie.

Kp

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Does your mouse double click or have you set it to click once, I think that having to "double click" the paddle is no biggie.

Kp
I have my mouse set to be one-click sometimes and double-click at others... just like the GT-R.

Clearly 2 camps here. Everyone would be happy if it was configurable. :smokin:

·
Registered
816 Posts
I occasionally catch the downshift when I turn off full beam a bit quick. Thing is it shifts down when I do this as I never have it in auto. Try it!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts